10 minute skillet chicken taco recipe is going to become your new favorite way to make chicken for your tacos! Ready in just 10 minutes, this recipe is so easy to make and incredibly flavorful! This healthy recipe is paleo, Whole30 and keto friendly!
Why this recipe works
- All the flavor of your favorite taco seasoning made from scratch in just 1 minute with easy to find ingredients! You can make a big batch and it’s much less expensive than store bought taco seasoning!
- This 10 minute skillet chicken taco meat is packed with flavor and the chicken is perfect for tacos, taco salad, burritos or even pizza!
- This healthy recipe for chicken taco meat is perfect for weeknight meals and makes great leftovers! Try it with homemade guacamole or homemade salsa!
- Healthy chicken taco meat is paleo, Whole30, low carb and keto friendly!
Why you should make your own taco seasoning
Making taco seasoning at home is very easy and you get to control the quality of ingredients. Store bought taco seasoning can have preservatives, artificial flavoring and coloring and is often full of additives you don’t want (like MSG).
There are healthier brands of taco seasoning on the market but they are often quite expensive.
GET 10 OF MY ALL TIME GREATEST RECIPES
IN THIS FREE EBOOK
Instead, you can make your own taco seasoning with spices you likely already have on hand at home. Make a big batch (once you know you like the recipe) and store extra in glass jars.
How to make taco seasoning
In a small bowl combine these ingredients. Stir well and store in a glass container.
- Smoked paprika
- Chili powder (low fodmap look for ancho chili powder)
- Dried chives (for low fodmap) or garlic powder
- Dried oregano
- Ground cumin
- Optional: red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper
TIP: I like to save glass spice jars once they are empty. Simply wash out the bottle and remove the label. You can reuse these containers over and over again.
For the best tasting taco seasoning, make sure you are using fresh herbs and spices!
I buy all my spices on Thrive Market or try to pick them up at Aldi or Trader Joe’s to save money! You can also buy them in bulk at stores like Costco or Sams.
- Step 1: Start by cutting up chicken breast or thighs into bite size pieces. I use clean kitchen shears to do this easily.
- Step 2: Make the taco seasoning mix in a small bowl.
- Step 3: Add the chicken pieces to a large bowl. Add red wine vinegar, olive oil and taco seasoning to the chicken.
- Step 4: Stir the chicken and seasoning and make sure it's well coated.
- Step 5: Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add the chicken and allow to cook for 8-10 minutes depending on how large the chicken bites are and how hot the pan was.
- Step 6: Test the temperature of the chicken (should be 165F) before removing it off the heat.
- Step 7: Stuff the chicken in a taco, burrito, chimichanga, over a taco salad, or serve on tostadas!
Toppings for chicken tacos:
- Avocado or guacamole
- Pico de gaio or homemade salsa
- Pickled jalapenos
- Pineapple slaw
- Jalapeno Cilantro Hummus
- Chopped tomatoes
- Shredded romaine lettuce
- Chopped red onion
FAQ’s and Substitutions
How long can leftovers be stored in the fridge?
Once cooked, the chicken will last about 3 days in the fridge in a sealed container
Can you freeze this recipe?
In the freezer, the chicken taco meat will last about 3 months. Be sure to store it in an airtight freezer safe container.
TIP: Freeze individual portions of the cooked chicken taco meat for an easy grab and go protein. Let it defrost overnight or in your lunch box for the next day. Reheat in the microwave or in a skillet over medium heat until warmed through.
Can you use store bought taco seasoning?
Yes! You can use homemade or store bought taco seasoning for this recipe.
What if you don’t have red wine vinegar?
If you don’t have red wine vinegar you can use apple cider vinegar, lime juice, white wine vinegar or lemon juice.
What kind of chicken can you use in this recipe?
This recipe calls for boneless, skinless chicken breast or thighs. Be sure to cut the chicken up into bite size pieces so it will cook quickly. You can also use chicken tenders that you cut up or even turkey breast.
Can you use the taco seasoning on more than chicken?
Yes! The homemade taco seasoning is great on shrimp, beef, black beans, vegetables and even on roasted potatoes!
If you love this recipe, you should try:
- Ranch chicken
- 10 Minute Black Bean Soup
- Spicy Sweet Potato Soup
- Mexican Turkey Lettuce Wraps
- Simple Turkey Stuffed Peppers
- Easy Bean Tostadas
10 Minute Skillet Chicken Taco Recipe
- Combine the ingredients for taco seasoning in a small bowl.
Chicken Taco Recipe
- Cut the chicken breast into bite size pieces using kitchen shears or a sharp knife.
- Add the cut chicken pieces to a large bowl. Add 1 tablespoon of the taco seasoning, 1 tablespoon of red wine vinegar and 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Stir the chicken well to make sure it is evenly coated.
- Preheat a large cast iron skillet (or stainless steel skillet) over medium heat.
- Add the chicken and allow it to cook for 3-4 minutes untouched.
- For the last 4-5 minutes, stir the chicken occasionally making sure all sides get heat.
- Take the chicken off the heat. Make sure it's completely cooked (check the temperature should be 165F)
- Serve the chicken taco meat with your favorite toppings in a taco shell on a burrito or on a salad.
SHOP MY FAVORITE FAST MEAL MUST-HAVES
Use the buttons below to buy my must-have fast meal basics and don't forget to visit my Amazon Shop!