Healthy protein waffles are the perfect breakfast recipe! These waffles are fluffy and naturally sweet! Ready in just 6 minutes, these gluten free waffles are packed with protein and are free from refined sugar or grains.
Why this recipe works
- These waffles are packed with protein and the perfect way to start the day. Starting the day with protein can help you feel full and satisfied longer than traditional waffles
- These waffles are gluten free and refined sugar free and only take 6 minutes from start to finish.
- Top these waffles with your favorite toppings! Strawberry balsamic jam or cinnamon raisin peanut butter are both great on these waffles!
What are protein waffles?
Protein waffles are just like regular waffles but are packed with protein! They are fluffy on the inside and crispy on the outside! These are perfect for breakfast in the morning or on the weekends for brunch!
How to add protein to waffles
To add protein to these waffles, I used vegan protein powder instead of flour in the batter. Vegan protein powder absorbs liquid just like flour. I love to use Nuzest Pea Protein, as it doesn’t have any added sugar or sweeteners.
GET 10 OF MY ALL TIME GREATEST RECIPES
IN THIS FREE EBOOK
TIP: Whey protein and other forms of protein like collagen or egg white protein do no absorb liquid like vegan protein powder, so if you are using them, you will have to increase the flour in this recipe. You will likely need to add 1/3 cup of your favorite gluten free flour in place of the vegan protein powder.
How to make protein waffles
- Preheat the waffle iron. Mash the banana in a large bowl.
- Add the egg whites and combine them well with the mashed banana.
- Add the rest of the ingredients
- Stir well the batter well until fully incorporated. Stir in your favorite additions like chopped nuts, mini chocolate chips or fruit.
- Spray the waffle iron with non-stick spray (avocado oil works best) Add the protein waffle batter to the waffle iron
- Cook the waffle batter for 4 minutes.
What toppings can you add to protein waffles?
- Fresh berries or sliced fruits
- Chopped nuts (walnuts, pecans, almonds, hazelnuts, peanut) or hemp hearts
- Nut butter (chocolate peanut butter, espresso cacao cashew almond butter)
- Peanut butter dip
- Jam or jelly (raspberry chia jam or apple butter is great)
- Homemade syrup (this blueberry syrup is epic)
- Honey or maple syrup
FAQ’s and Substitutions:
How to freeze and reheat waffles
If you want to make a big batch of waffles and freeze them for later here are the steps you can take to freeze them.
- First, let the waffles cool completely.
- Once cool, wrap the waffles in plastic wrap tightly. Then wrap that in foil or freezer bag. If you don’t want to use plastic wrap you can also just remove as much of the air out of a stasher bag and forgo the plastic wrap.
- To reheat the waffles after freezing, first, defrost the waffles in the fridge overnight or let them defrost on the counter for 15-20 minutes.
- Heat the waffles in the toaster oven 5-7 minutes until crispy. If you don’t have access to a toaster oven, you can also use the microwave for about 1 minute.
How to keep waffles warm if making more than one?
Preheat your oven to 250F. You can store the waffles in the oven to keep warm while you make the other waffles.
What is the best waffle iron?
I looked for a waffle iron for quite some time. I didn't want one that was coated in non-stick coating. Instead, I found one with ceramic plates! I love this waffle iron. It heats up quickly and is easy to clean!
If you love this protein waffle recipe, you should try:
- Protein pancakes
- Low carb pumpkin chocolate protein pancakes
- Chocolate protein pancakes
- Sweet potato waffles
- Cauliflower waffles
- Parsnip waffles
Healthy Protein Waffles
- Preheat the waffle iron
- Mash the banana in a bowl.
- Add the egg whites to the banana and mix well until fully incorporated
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the banana and egg mixture
- Stir well until the batter is fully incorporated. If you want to add and mix in's do it now
- Spray the waffle iron with non-stick spray (I like avocado oil)
- Add the batter to the waffle iron and cook it for 4 minutes.
- Allow the waffles to cool. Wrap the waffles in plastic wrap and then foil or store in a airtight bag.
- To defrost, defrost in the fridge (overnight) or on the counter (10-20 minutes)
- Reheat in the toaster oven (4-5 minutes) or in the microwave (1 minute).
SHOP MY FAVORITE FAST MEAL MUST-HAVES
Use the buttons below to buy my must-have fast meal creation basics and visit my Amazon Shop!