These easy bean tostadas are a simple, healthy meal that can be ready in under 15 minutes. Crunchy corn tortillas, easy “refried beans”, corn salsa and my favorite twist, sriracha! These easy bean tostadas are a great way to mix up your Taco Tuesday! Plus they are easy to assemble so perfect if you are feeding a crowd! This is the kind of meal your kids will love eating, and your spouse will not get upset about if you decide to put it on rotation in the dinner menu. It’s affordable and super tasty!
The sweet corn salsa paired against the smoky cumin and undeniable flavor of sriracha is a combination that I can’t seem to get enough of. I’ve found a new love for tostadas over the past few weeks. I have always been a fan of crunchy tacos, but well lets be honest, they go everywhere. And with as much stuff as I like to pack inside of them, I might as well just grab a fork everytime I eat tacos, because I’m bound to make a mess.
I love the crunch and if you can get a bite with all the flavors and textures, it’s pure heaven. I discovered that if you put corn tortillas in the oven and bake them, they become crunchy, just like the taco shells I love so dearly. And since they are flat, I can get a bite of everything at once – although Dave tends to laugh his head off watching me attempt this!
Easy Bean Tostadas Recipe Tips
I make my own refried beans with organic canned black beans or dark kidney beans. I simply mash them up with a fork after washing and draining them from the can. Be sure to soak your beans for a minute or two in fresh water before using them, this really helps remove the lingering liquid. This helps resolve any of the tummy troubles I used to experience from eating beans. Once the beans have been rinsed and drained, add salt and cumin for a simple but filling topping for these tostadas. These “refried beans” are ready in under 3 minutes, mashing and all! The creamy texture of the beans against the crunchy corn tortilla and the crunchy sweet corn is the perfect blend of flavors and textures.
If you have extra time or you are like me and think that every meal needs to have a vegetable, slice up some romaine lettuce and crunchy red cabbage. I don’t know about you, but I can’t call it Taco Tuesday without avocado, so be sure to add some sliced avocado as well!
Easy Bean Tostadas
- Place corn tortillas in an oven set to 350. I use my counter top toaster oven. Bake for 10 minute until crispy
- While corn tortillas are baking, drain and rinse the beans. After allowing them to soak, rinse and mash with a fork. Add cumin and salt and mix to combine. Microwave for 1 minute (or heat on stove)
- Prepare simple corn homemade salsa if not already made.
- Once tortillas are crispy, remove from the oven. Add refried beans, romaine, red cabbage, corn salsa and top with sriracha
What about you?
- Crunchy taco shells or soft?
- Do you ever make tostadas? What is your favorite flavor combination?
- Have you ever used sriracha with your Mexican dishes?