Mango salsa salmon is a perfect quick and easy healthy dinner recipe. Ready in under 10 minutes, with instructions for the air fryer and the oven, this mango salsa salad is great for lunch, dinner or entertaining! This recipe is naturally gluten free, Whole30 and paleo friendly!
Why this recipe works:
- Homemade mango salsa is the perfect topping for freshly cooked salmon! You won’t believe how easy this mango salsa is to make!
- Use defrosted mango chunks so you never have to worry about cutting a fresh mango! This recipe tastes so fresh even with the frozen mango!
- Serve this mango salsa salmon over tacos, over salad or with your favorite side (jasmine rice or cilantro lime cauliflower rice would both be excellent).
How to make salmon in under 10 minutes?
Cooking fresh salmon in under 10 minutes is possible using the method I describe in this 7 minute salmon post! Essentially you start the salmon on the stove in a hot pan and then place the salmon under the broiler to finish. This method leaves you with crispy skin and it’s ready so quickly! Just be sure you have a pan that can go in the oven (stainless steel or cast iron is best).
If you are going to use frozen salmon, be sure defrost it first. The easiest way to defrost salmon is to put it in the fridge overnight in a container (in case it leaks).
TIP: If you forget to defrost the salmon and it’s individually portioned, you can quickly defrost salmon by placing in on a baking sheet on your counter. I’m not sure exactly why this works but the metal pan helps the fish defrost in like 20 minutes. Just be sure to flip it at least one time.
How to make homemade mango salsa
Mango salsa is the perfect contrast to salmon, and the bite from the lime is keeps it from being too sweet. The perfect combination of sweet and savory!
This homemade mango salsa salmon uses frozen mango that is defrosted in the fridge or in the microwave. No need to learn how to cut and peel a mango to make this super fresh mango salsa! What else do you need for mango salsa:
- Red bell pepper
- Red Onion
- Lime juice
Step 1: To make the homemade mango salsa, start by defrosting the mango. You can do this in the fridge overnight or defrost it in the microwave in about 1 minute.
Step 2: Once the mango has been defrosted, you will want to cut the chunks of frozen mango down into smaller, bite size pieces.
Step 3: Chop the rest of the vegetables and add them to the mango. Squeeze lime juice and add a pinch of salt and stir well.
Step 4: Store this mango salsa in the fridge for up to 3 days.
How to make Mango Salsa Salmon:
Step 1: Make the mango salsa and allow it to sit, as the flavors get better the longer it sits.
Step 2: After the salsa is made, sprinkle the salmon with salt and garlic powder before cooking.
How to serve Mango Salsa Salmon:
- In a bowl with Whole30 dirty cauliflower rice and sliced avocado
- On top of a lettuce leaf with crunchy slaw for a simple taco style meal.
- Burrito bowl style on top of shredded romaine with cauliflower rice, some chopped veggies and avocado cilantro dressing!
How long will this recipe last in the fridge?
The salmon can be stored in an airtight container for up to 3 days after cooking. The mango salsa can be stored separate from the salmon for up to 5 days in the fridge.
Can you use fresh mango instead of frozen?
Yes! I prefer to use frozen mango because it’s always ripe and I am not very good at cutting mango. You could easily use fresh mango instead.
Mango: If you don’t have mango, you could also use pineapple instead!
Red bell pepper: You can use any color bell pepper or just leave it out of the recipe. You could use jicama in it’s place!
Red onion: If you cannot have red onion, try chopped scallions (green part only) instead!
If you love this Mango Salsa Salmon Recipe you should try:
- Cajun Salmon Sheet Pan Meal
- Everything Bagel Salmon
- Smoked Salmon Sushi Rice Cakes
- Curry Salmon Cakes with Cilantro Lime Yogurt Sauce
- Easy salmon bites
- Whole30 Crab Cakes
What you need to make this recipe:
Mango Salsa Salmon
Guided Recipe Video
- Make the mango salsa. Defrost the mango in the microwave and chop the mango into smaller, bite size pieces. and red bell pepper into bite, red onion and cilantro. Add these ingredients to a bowl and squeeze lime juice and sprinkle with salt. Mix to combine.
- Chop the red bell pepper, red onion and cilantro. Add it to the mango chunks. Squeeze lime juice and salt over the mango and vegetables and stir well.
- Sprinkle the salt and garlic powder evenly between salmon fillets.
- Taste the salsa for salt and seasoning before spooning it over the salmon.
- Serve hot or at room temperature.
Substitutions:Mango: If you don't have mango, you could also use pineapple instead! Red bell pepper: You can use any color bell pepper or just leave it out of the recipe. You could use jicama in it's place! Red onion: If you cannot have red onion, try chopped scallions (green part only) instead!
Update Notes: This recipe was originally posted in May of 2016, but was published again in October 2019 to include step by step directions, recipe notes and new photos