What can I say about tater tots? I mean who doesn't love tater tots?? We have a restaurant here in NC called Bad Daddy's and they have some epic tater tots. When I go out with my girlfriend Steph I have to steal a few of hers to get my fix! I wanted to create sweet potato tots, a healthier version!
Sweet potato tots are pretty much the perfect complement to most of the comfort food I crave during the winter. Chili, veggie burgers, tomato soup, Philly cheese steaks, guacamole, chicken nuggets, chocolate peanut butter banana bread. Well maybe not the last one but you get my point.
Well I've been craving tater tots like crazy recently and Dave and I have been on a serious sweet potato binge so it was only appropriate to combine these two food cravings. Born from necessity and now a coveted recipe; I seriously love when my food cravings lead to glorious recipes!!
So there are some time saving tips because I don't know about you, but waiting for potatoes to do their thing in the oven requires a special kind of patience I just don't have some days. So I decided to use the microwave (gasp ok judge me if you must) but you could easily use a steam basket on the stove as well to get these potatoes almost all the way cooked before forming them into tots.
And since it seems I don't do anything without a little added protein I used pea protein to bind these tots! You could easily use oat flour to keep this gluten free, but I'd start with only 1 tablespoon and check the consistency before adding a second tablespoon. I've seen a ton of tater tot recipes that use egg whites or cheese to bind the tater tots but I used flax eggs to keep these vegan and increase the fiber.
GET 10 OF MY ALL TIME GREATEST RECIPES
IN THIS FREE EBOOK
These tater tots are baked in the oven and get super crispy. Not too shabby if you ask me. There are so many fun ways to change these up with spices and herbs so feel free to go crazy. 🙂 The recipe below can easily be doubled or tripled. This recipe is for 1 sweet potato which will serve 2 adults as a side dish (or 1 if you are me).
Sweet Potato Tots
- Preheat oven to 375F
- Wash and peel the sweet potato.
- Make flax eggs by combining the ground flax with water. Allow to sit to set up.
- Grate sweet potato with hand grater or food processor attachment into a glass bowl.
- Microwave for 3 minutes on high
- Finely chop the onion, measure out 2 tablespoons.
- Add flax egg, salt, pepper and 2 tbs. unflavored pea protein to the sweet potato and onion mixture.
- Mix to combine. Let sit 2-3 minutes.
- Spray cookie sheet with coconut oil or nonstick spray.
- Form small tots by scooping out a tablespoon of the sweet potato mixture and pressing it into a “tot” with your hands.
- Once all the tater tots have been formed, place in oven for 15 minutes.
- Serve with ketchup, sriracha or your favorite dipping sauce!
SHOP MY FAVORITE FAST MEAL MUST-HAVES
Use the buttons below to buy my must-have fast meal creation basics and visit my Amazon Shop!
What about you?
- Tater tots or fries?
- What do you like to dip your tater tots/fries in?
- Best comfort food to eat tater tots on the side of?