Honey mustard dressing is a healthy homemade dressing recipe that is so easy to make and only has 5 ingredients. This slightly sweet, tangy dressing is better than store-bought and takes less than 2 minutes to make! This dressing is gluten free, dairy free, paleo, and so simple to make.
Why this recipe works:
- This honey mustard vinaigrette dressing is made from just 5 ingredients
- You only need 2 minutes to make this dressing and it’s better than store bought!
- This recipe doesn’t have any mayo, so it’s more like a sweet and tangy vinaigrette
Honey mustard vinaigrette dressing is made from just 5 ingredients that are so easy to find at the store: dijon mustard, honey, avocado oil, white wine vinegar and salt. Simply combine these ingredients and pour over your favorite salad greens for the most flavorful salad that you will actually look forward to eating!
How to make homemade honey mustard dressing
There are three simple ways to make salad dressing in under 1 minute.
GET 10 OF MY ALL TIME GREATEST RECIPES
IN THIS FREE EBOOK
- Combine the ingredients in a bowl and combine with a fork or a whisk. This is great for single servings of dressings. I often do this in the bowl I plan on eating the salad out of before adding the salad greens
- Pour all the ingredients into a mason jar and seal the lid. Shake well until combined. This works great for most dressings and you can store the leftover dressing in the mason jar.
- Combine the ingredients in a high speed bullet blender. This is my go-to when making larger batches, especially when the dressing has honey in it. The blender makes a thick, emulsified dressing that is so creamy and the perfect consistency. I find that the dressing also stays combined well for days when you make it this way.
Tips for making this honey mustard dressing recipe at home:
If you measure out the avocado oil before measuring the honey, the honey won’t stick to the measuring spoon.
This recipe adds 1-2 tablespoons of water to the dressing to get a thin, vinaigrette consistency. If you wanted to use this recipe as a dip, do not add the water.
If you want to make this dressing thicker, you could add up to ½ cup of yogurt (dairy free or regular) or greek style yogurt to make it even thicker.
Honey: Try to use a local honey if possible. It’s great for your allergies and it’s a great way to support your local community. If you need to substitute honey, you can also make this recipe with maple syrup (vegan option).
Avocado oil: If you don’t have avocado oil, you can also use olive oil. I like to use avocado oil because it’s very neutral and doesn’t seem to harden and separate when stored in the fridge.
Dijon mustard: For this recipe, you can use stone ground mustard or dijon mustard. Some dijon mustard brands are spicier than others so you may need to add more honey or less vinegar to offset the spice of the mustard.
White wine vinegar: Personally I love white wine vinegar in dressings, especially when there is dijon mustard in the dressing. You can also use apple cider vinegar, white balsamic vinegar or champagne vinegar.
Why you should make homemade salad dressing
When you make salad dressing at home, you can control the quality of the ingredients. So many store bought dressings are filled with preservatives, high fructose corn syrup, less than quality oils and artificial colors and flavors.
This recipe for healthy honey mustard dressing has just 5 ingredients, and you can pronounce them all. Even better you can make a double batch and have a jar in your fridge to use for up to 2 weeks! Be sure to grab some salad dressing glass bottles for storage.
More homemade dressing recipes to try:
What is this healthy homemade honey mustard dressing good with?
- Salad greens of any kind
- Broccoli salad
- Brussel sprouts (as a dip for roasted or dressing for a salad)
- Shredded cabbage
- Poured over steamed chopped carrots
- As a vegetable dip
- As a dressing for tuna or chicken salad
- Pasta salad dressing
- Over cold potatoes for a potato salad
- Hard boiled egg salad dressing
- Over roasted veggies
- Over roasted sweet potatoes
- As a dip for air fryer chicken nuggets
Honey Mustard Dressing
- Combine the dressing ingredients using a whisk and a bowl, a sealed mason jar or a high speed blender. Blend until well combined
- Store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks
SHOP MY FAVORITE FAST MEAL MUST-HAVES
Use the buttons below to buy my must-have fast meal basics and don't forget to visit my Amazon Shop!