Instant pot shredded barbecue chicken is the perfect weeknight recipe! This easy, healthy recipe is ready in under 30 minutes. Make this with boneless, skinless chicken breast or thighs for a paleo, gluten free, Whole30 friendly meal!
Why you’ll love this recipe
- Instant pot shredded BBQ chicken is ready in under 30 minutes and so easy to make. This is the perfect recipe for the nights you don’t feel like cooking but still want something delicious on the table! You will not believe all the creative ways you can use shredded BBQ chicken!
- Be sure to make extra, the leftovers are just as good and since this recipe is super versatile, you don’t have to worry about eating the same thing multiple days in a row (unless you like that kind of thing).
- Personally, this recipe has been so great for meal prep. This instant pot shredded barbecue chicken is perfect with meal prepped rice and a quick vegetable or stuffed in a sweet potato for a quick and easy lunch recipe!
What do you need to make instant pot BBQ chicken
Tips for making instant pot barbecue chicken
This recipe is so simple. You just add the chicken to the instant pot, add barbeque sauce and water and let it cook on high pressure for about 15 minutes. Let naturally release or manually release if you are short on time.
Since barbeque sauce is naturally pretty thick, it’s important to add a little water so that the instant pot will come up to pressure. Without water, you will likely get a BURN error.
- For each pound of chicken you add, you will need 3/4 cup of BBQ sauce. The water in the recipe will not change!
- Depending on how thick the sauce is that you choose, you will need between 1/4 cup and 1/3 cup of water to get the instant pot up to pressure.
After the bbq chicken is done cooking, you will likely need to thicken the barbeque sauce since you added water to get it up to pressure. To do this, just make a slurry of water and arrowroot powder or tapioca flour and water. See the recipe card for details on how to do this.
What BBQ sauce should you use?
Use whatever your favorite brand is. Personally I love to make homemade BBQ sauce since I can control the ingredients and it’s pretty cost effective. My two favorite recipes are
How to serve shredded barbeque chicken
- Stuffed sweet potatoes
- BBQ plates
- Pitas or wraps
What are good sides for this chicken
Some of my favorite side dishes would be great with this instant pot BBQ chicken!
- Garlic cauliflower mash (dairy free)
- Whole30 cauliflower potato salad
- Cruciferous crunch salad
- 5 minute creamy kale
Instant Pot BBQ Chicken$8.22 Recipe/$2.06 Serving
Guided Recipe Video
- Add the chicken breast to the insert of the Instant Pot.
- Pour the water and barbecue sauce over the chicken and close the instant pot.
- Be sure the instant pot vent is turned to sealed. Turn on high pressure for 15 minutes.
- After the instant pot comes up to pressure and cooks for 15 minutes, you can manually release the pressure or allow it to naturally release.
- Take the chicken breast out of the instant pot and shred them on a plate with two forks.
- To thicken the sauce, turn the instant pot on Saute mode.
- Make a slurry by combining 1 tablespoon of arrowroot powder or tapioca flour to 2 tablespoons water in a small bowl. Stir well
- Pour the slurry into the barbeque sauce after the chicken is removed. Stir well. Allow to cook 2-3 minutes on sauté until the sauce starts to thicken.
- Turn off the instant pot once it reaches the thickness you like, as it will continue to thicken with heat.
- Stir the shredded chicken back in and serve hot or cold.
IN THIS FREE EBOOK