These black bean lentil burgers are going to be your new go-to meatless meal! Move over boring veggie burgers, bursting with lime, cumin, chili powder and cilantro, these black bean lentil burgers are anything but boring! Full of fiber and protein these burgers will satisfy even the pickiest eater in your family. They are easy to make and great if you are on a budget! Added bonus, these burgers are vegan and gluten free.
Happy meatless Monday friends! I hope everyone is enjoying their day. The first days back to work after a long vacation can be brutal. Add to that the fact that most of us are getting back to eating healthy and working out. No cookies to look forward to can make the day just drag am I right? But, if you have a healthy, filling, and easy dinner to look forward to, I promise you day will quickly turn around once you get home. :) These mexican black bean lentil burgers are a great option for dinner, especially if you are trying to reduce your red meat intake! These burgers feel like comfort food and the smell coming out of your oven as they bake will have everyone in the house salivating!
I tested this recipe on my non-vegetarian sister and boyfriend, and both of them agreed that they were extremely satisfying and they would happily eat them anytime I wanted to share (haha I’m stingy with my food). My sister asked me if I could walk her through the steps to make these burgers, as she is focusing on making whole foods at home for her new year resolution. She is in school and works full time so she needs something that is easy and can be convenient. These burgers will be great for her to make in big batches and freeze the leftovers for later. Talk about convenience food!
GET 10 OF MY ALL TIME GREATEST RECIPES
IN THIS FREE EBOOK
These mexican burgers are great on bread, as a traditional burger topped with guacamole and lettuce, tomato and red onions. They are also great crumbled up in a burrito bowl or crumbled up on a salad (my favorite way to enjoy them). If you decide to make these, try them on a salad with chopped walnuts and use salsa for the dressing, I promise these burgers so versatile you will find endless ways to enjoy them!
If you have picky eaters and are concerned about them getting enough vitamins and minerals from the lack of veggies in their diet, this protein powder would be a great addition to your meals. I find that it’s easy to mix in and doesn’t leave a harsh flavor that needs to be “covered up”, it just adds to the hearty flavors of the beans and lentils. I was not compensated nor was I asked to do a review of this protein, I just thought I would mention it since it was new to me and I really enjoyed it. I know that we are all being more health conscious in the new year, and it’s important to make sure we are fueling our bodies correctly instead of depriving them of essential nutrients and protein. Adding whole food ingredients to our diets will help keep us fuller longer and will eventually help us crave less and less junk!
Get more vegan dinners and eat healthy and delicious this week.
Mexican Black Bean Lentil Burgers
- Preheat oven to 375
- In a large bowl combine 1/2 cup black beans, 1/2 cup lentils, ground flax, oat flour and all the spices and salt, stir well.
- Add the rest of the black beans and lentils to the food processor and pulse until the mixture is starting to form a chunky paste/puree (does not have to be smooth).
- Move the black bean lentil puree to the bowl with the rest of the ingredients, stir well.
- To the food processor add 1 roasted red pepper (no liquid) and the red onion. Turn on high until this becomes a puree (takes about 20 seconds).
- Pour the roasted red pepper/red onion mixture to the bowl with the beans and spices. Mix well, let sit 1-2 minutes.
- Place patties on a parchment paper that has been lightly sprayed with non-stick (I used olive oil)
- Use a 1/3 cup for easy measuring, scoop out 1/3 cup of the mixture to your hands. Form into patties and add to the baking sheet. Makes 5 patties.
- Bake at 375F for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, take out of oven and carefully flip burgers. Cook 10 more minutes.
SHOP MY FAVORITE FAST MEAL MUST-HAVES
Use the buttons below to buy my must-have fast meal basics and don't forget to visit my Amazon Shop!
What about you?
- Do you have a go to veggie burger recipe?
- Have you considered eating meatless on Mondays?
- What is your favorite way to eat your veggie burgers? Traditional, on a salad or in a burrito?