These black bean lentil burgers are going to be your new go-to meatless meal! Move over boring veggie burgers, bursting with lime, cumin, chili powder and cilantro, these black bean lentil burgers are anything but boring! Full of fiber and protein these burgers will satisfy even the pickiest eater in your family. They are easy to make and great if you are on a budget! Added bonus, these burgers are vegan and gluten free.
Happy meatless Monday friends! I hope everyone is enjoying their day. The first days back to work after a long vacation can be brutal. Add to that the fact that most of us are getting back to eating healthy and working out. No cookies to look forward to can make the day just drag am I right? But, if you have a healthy, filling, and easy dinner to look forward to, I promise you day will quickly turn around once you get home. 🙂 These mexican black bean lentil burgers are a great option for dinner, especially if you are trying to reduce your red meat intake! These burgers feel like comfort food and the smell coming out of your oven as they bake will have everyone in the house salivating!
I tested this recipe on my non-vegetarian sister and boyfriend, and both of them agreed that they were extremely satisfying and they would happily eat them anytime I wanted to share (haha I’m stingy with my food). My sister asked me if I could walk her through the steps to make these burgers, as she is focusing on making whole foods at home for her new year resolution. She is in school and works full time so she needs something that is easy and can be convenient. These burgers will be great for her to make in big batches and freeze the leftovers for later. Talk about convenience food!
GET 10 OF MY ALL TIME GREATEST RECIPES
IN THIS FREE EBOOK
These mexican burgers are great on bread, as a traditional burger topped with guacamole and lettuce, tomato and red onions. They are also great crumbled up in a burrito bowl or crumbled up on a salad (my favorite way to enjoy them). If you decide to make these, try them on a salad with chopped walnuts and use salsa for the dressing, I promise these burgers so versatile you will find endless ways to enjoy them!
If you have picky eaters and are concerned about them getting enough vitamins and minerals from the lack of veggies in their diet, this protein powder would be a great addition to your meals. I find that it’s easy to mix in and doesn’t leave a harsh flavor that needs to be “covered up”, it just adds to the hearty flavors of the beans and lentils. I was not compensated nor was I asked to do a review of this protein, I just thought I would mention it since it was new to me and I really enjoyed it. I know that we are all being more health conscious in the new year, and it’s important to make sure we are fueling our bodies correctly instead of depriving them of essential nutrients and protein. Adding whole food ingredients to our diets will help keep us fuller longer and will eventually help us crave less and less junk!
Get more vegan dinners and eat healthy and delicious this week.
Mexican Black Bean Lentil Burgers
- 1 cup cooked green lentils - divided
- 1 cup canned black beans - rinced and divided
- 1/4 cup Red and Yellow Bell Pepper - chopped
- Juice of one large lime - or two small limes
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion - divided
- 2 cloves garlic - minced
- 10 grape tomatoes - chopped
- 1/2 tbs. chili powder
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp corriander
- 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 tsp. season salt
- 3 tbs. ground flax seeds
- 3 tbs. oat flour - gluten free
- black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup cilantro - chopped
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Chop all veggies.
- In a food processor, add 1/2 cup of black beans, 1/2 cup lentils, protein powder, lime juice, 2 tbs. red onions, garlic, tomatoes, red bell pepper and season salt. Puree until smooth. Add chili powder, cumin, coriander and smoked paprika. Puree until combined.
- Move contents of food processor to a large bowl. Add ground flax seed, the rest of the remaining lentils and black beans and oat flour. Stir until combined.
- Add the additional 2 tbs. red onion and chopped cilantro. Mix until distributed.
- Divide into 6 equal portion and using your hands, form burger patties.
- Place patties on a parchment paper that has been lightly sprayed with coconut oil.
- Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes.
SHOP MY FAVORITE FAST MEAL MUST-HAVES
Use the buttons below to buy my must-have fast meal creation basics and visit my Amazon Shop!
What about you?
- Do you have a go to veggie burger recipe?
- Have you considered eating meatless on Mondays?
- What is your favorite way to eat your veggie burgers? Traditional, on a salad or in a burrito?