This simple healthy sweet potato casserole is going to become you new favorite go-to side dish over the holidays! Not only is it dairy free and paleo, but this recipe is ready in 30 minutes and is low fat and allergy friendly!
I was so excited to start planning our Thanksgiving menu this year with my mom. The one dish I always look forward to having is sweet potato casserole. But my mom usually uses a ton of butter and sugar and it ends up being more like dessert than dinner. I made this dairy free version of sweet potato casserole this weekend so my mom could test the recipe while she was here visiting and she actually really liked the addition of the sunflower seeds (vs. pecans that are traditional). I’m so excited to know we will have so much on the table this year that is allergy friendly!
The holidays can be tough for people with food allergies! We are going to be visiting family in Charlotte and Dave has a gluten and dairy sensitivity as well as a nut allergy. I don’t eat meat or turkey (but I do eat fish) so it’s pretty difficult for people to cater to us and our food allergies/intolerance’s/food preferences. Luckily I know this, and I’m not shy about asking people about what they are using in dishes, after getting sick a number of times and feeling terrible after the allergies.
I try to have these conversations a few days ahead of time and I’m always ready with a recipe suggestion or two that I can either bring or offer them the recipe (if they insist on making something allergy friendly for us). This simple healthy sweet potato casserole is one of those easy recipes, that is ready in just 30 minutes (woohoo) but it’s also insanely easy! You don’t even need a stand mixer or electric beaters.
To make this recipe more allergy friendly, I used roasted sunflower seeds instead of pecan seeds and use coconut flour and coconut oil instead of all-purpose flour and butter. You are not going to miss any of these ingredients, since this recipe is so incredibly delicious!
Looking for an easy turkey recipe to go with this healthy sweet potato recipe? Make sure to check out this slow cooker turkey breast.
See how easy this healthy sweet potato recipe is to make with the video below!
Simple Healthy Sweet Potato Casserole
This simple healthy sweet potato casserole is dairy-free, low-fat, paleo and ready in about 30 minutes (from start to finish).
Preheat the oven to 375F
Peel and chop about 3 large sweet potatoes (8 cups chopped)
Add the chopped sweet potatoes to a large pot and cover the potatoes with water.
Cover the pot and cook over medium-high heat for 15 minutes.
While the sweet potatoes are boiling, make the topping by combining the sunflower seeds, coconut sugar, coconut flour, coconut oil and ground cinnamon. Stir well.
After the potatoes boil for 15 minutes, they should be fork tender. You can drain the potatoes in a colander.
Add the potatoes back to the pot and mash with a potato masher.
Add the egg whites, ground cinnamon, maple syrup, salt and vanilla extract. Stir well
Spray a casserole dish with non-stick and add the sweet potato mixture. Top with the topping and bake in the oven at 375F for 13-15 minutes
Holiday Casserole Recipes #SundaySupper
- Apple Crumble French Toast Casserole by Pies and Plots
- Holiday Breakfast Casserole by The Freshman Cook
- Sausage Breakfast Casserole with Crescent Rolls by Sunday Supper Movement
- Christmas Chilaquiles with Eggs by Our Good Life
- Buttery Baked Bread Dressing by Food Lust People Love
- Collard Greens Au Gratin by Soulfully Made
- French Potato Gratin by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Ham & Cheese Corn Casserole (Spoon Bread) by Palatable Pastime
- Leftover Turkey Noodle Casserole by Crickets Confections
- Lower Carb Green Bean Casserole by Positively Stacey
- Simple Healthy Sweet Potato Casserole (Dairy-Free) by Bites of Wellness
- Turkey and Noodles by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Brussels Sprouts Gratin with Quinoa by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Cheesy Orzo Pasta Bake by Caroline’s Cooking
- Mexican Cornbread Casserole by Restless Chipotle
- Shrimp Pineapple Rice Casserole by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Make Ahead Spaghetti Western Chili Casserole by Kudos Kitchen by Renee
The Sunday Supper Movement is committed to bringing our readers delicious recipes that encourage them to gather and eat together around the family table. Search for your favorite ingredients on our Sunday Supper website. Also check out the Sunday Supper Pinterest boards for plenty more ideas and inspiration.