Smoked salmon frittata is so easy to make and packed with flavor! Great for breakfast, brunch, lunch or dinner, this frittata with smoked salmon is ready in just 25 minutes and made with simple ingredients. This salmon frittata is low carb, keto, Whole30, gluten free, dairy free and so simple.
Why you will love this recipe
- Easy to make – making a smoked salmon frittata is so easy! It takes just 2 minutes of prep time and then it cooks up in the oven. Very little hands on time thanks to the roasted red peppers and frozen kale.
- Simple ingredients – this low carb frittata is made with super simple ingredients, most of those are pantry or freezer staples. You can find smoked salmon in most grocery stores now and it’s so easy to add right into the egg mixture.
- Versatile – salmon frittatas are great for breakfast, lunch, brunch or dinner. You can easily add whatever veggies you have on hand and it can be served hot, cold or at room temperature.
- Smoked salmon – smoked salmon helps to give this frittata a smoky flavor without overpowering it with a fishy taste. Smoked salmon is a breakfast staple and is regularly served with cream cheese and bagels for breakfast, making it perfect in this frittata. You can use cold smoked or hot smoked salmon in this recipe. If you don’t have smoked salmon, you could use leftover salmon but won’t get that same smoked flavor.
- Roasted bell peppers – the roasted bell peppers are slightly sweet and add another layer of that smoky flavor. I love using roasted bell peppers because they are already soft and ready to go, no cooking required.
- Frozen kale or spinach – using frozen kale or spinach ensures that the frittata is packed with veggies without having to wilt down the kale or spinach in advance. Frozen kale and frozen spinach is blanched quickly before freezing, helping to cook down the large volume you would need with fresh kale or spinach in this recipe. It’s also a pantry staple and something I always have on hand.
- Eggs and egg whites – eggs are what make a frittata a frittata. I like to use a mixture of whole eggs and egg whites. The eggs help give it the traditional flavor while the egg whites help to add a lot of protein.
- Spices: Salt and everything but the bagel seasoning – Everything but the bagel seasoning pairs so well with the smoked salmon and the salt helps to elevate the flavors. Note that most everything bagel seasoning does have salt in it so you only need a little bit of added salt. If you don’t have everything bagel seasoning, you can just add some garlic powder (about 1 teaspoon) and increase the salt from 1/4 teaspoon to 1/2 teaspoon.
How to make smoked salmon frittata
Start by preheating the oven to 375F.
Defrost the kale in the microwave for 2-3 minutes. After defrosting, squeeze out any excess water from the kale.
Remove the roasted red peppers from the jar (drain the liquid) and chop into bite size pieces. Chop the smoked salmon into bite size pieces as well.
Break the eggs and add them to a bowl along with the egg whites, Stir well until the eggs are broken up and well distributed.
Once the eggs are broken down, add the defrosted kale, roasted red peppers, smoked salmon and spices. Stir well.
Pour the mixture into a pie pan that has been sprayed with non-stick spray (olive oil or avocado oil). Bake in a 375F oven for 25 minutes.
You can add more veggies, cheese or even defrosted hash browns to this smoked salmon frittata. Some other great additions include;
- Veggies: Tomatoes, sauteed onions, sauteed mushrooms, sauteed or roasted asparagus, broccoli or cauliflower.
- Creaminess: Cream cheese (dairy free or regular), add just a few tablespoons the the egg mixture before baking.
- Other flavors: Sundried tomatoes, pesto, chimichurri sauce, diced chipotle peppers or pickled jalapenos
- Spice: Add a pinch of red pepper flakes or a squeeze of sriracha.
What to serve with salmon frittata
- Salad – green salad with balsamic dressing, Greek salad with kalamata dressing, asparagus salad with lemon dressing
- Appetizers – serve with spinach artichoke stuffed mushrooms, butter bean hummus and veggies, air fryer smashed brussel sprouts with creamy tahini sauce.
- Bread or crackers – flax almond crackers, seed crackers, almond flour corn bread, or oat flatbread
Do you have to cook smoked salmon?
Smoked salmon is already cooked, so you do not need to cook it before adding it to the recipe. Smoked salmon is typically brined then either cold smoked or hot smoked. This process gives the smoked salmon it’s signature flavor.
Can you use all eggs instead of egg whites?
Yes! If you don’t want to use egg whites, you can replace them with eggs. For this recipe, you would want to use 12 eggs total to replace the 4 eggs plus egg whites.
I prefer to use egg whites to increase the protein in the frittata without adding as much fat.
If you love this recipe, you should try
Smoked Salmon Frittata
Guided Recipe Video
- 1 package smoked salmon - chopped
- 1 roasted red and yellow peppers - chopped
- 1/2 bag frozen kale - defrosted
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 4 eggs
- 1 carton egg whites
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Put the frozen kale/spinach in the microwave for 2 minutes.
- Drain out the liquid from the kale by squeezing the water out over the sink. Add salt and stir.
- Chop the smoked salmon and roasted red bell pepper.
- Spray 2 pie plates with non-stick spray. Divide the defrosted kale, roasted red pepper, and smoked salmon between the two pie plates
- Whisk 4 eggs in the bowl you defrosted the kale in. Add at least half the egg whites to the eggs.
- Pour the egg mixture evenly between the two pie plates. Add the rest of the egg whites to the two pie plates.
- Place in the oven for 25 minutes until firm to the touch.
- Serve cold, room temperature or hot
Tuesday 12th of November 2019
I am planning to make this for my family. Does smoked salmon have sugar? My son and wife are doing 30 day elimination diet. Also what size carton of egg whites do you use? My store had 250 and 500g sizes. Thank you
Tuesday 26th of November 2019
You will need to read the ingredients of smoked salmon packages. There are sugar free versions (one is sold at Trader Joe's). In response to the egg white carton size, you could use either size, you just may need to cook it longer with the larger size.
Rita C at Panoply
Tuesday 22nd of December 2015
This looks amazing - pinning! Thank you for sharing, and have a Merry Christmas! Visiting from A Stroll Thru Life. Rita C at Panoply
Monday 21st of December 2015
I am not a fan of smoked salmon, but I should give it another try. Fritattas are the best because you can out whatever you have in the refrigerator.
Saturday 19th of December 2015
I LOVE frittatas! I like putting kale and turkey in mine! I think smoked salmon would taste absolutely delicious in this!
Taylor @ Food Faith Fitness
Thursday 17th of December 2015
I so agree on the love of fritattas and egg bakes because they are SO easy. Not to mention all the protein...which you even ADDED with that salmon. Totally diggin' this breakfast!