This creamy arugula cashew vegan pesto is going to be your new favorite sauce to put on everything! Zoodles, sandwiches, chicken, fish or tofu, this creamy dairy free vegan pesto is a way to brighten any meal! It’s paleo, Whole30 approved, gluten free, grain free, dairy free and low carb! It’s also packed full of nutrition!
What to serve arugula pesto with?
In the winter I love to have pesto on gluten free high protein pasta to bring brightness into the cold winter! This pesto is also great in vegan minestrone soup!
GET 10 OF MY ALL TIME GREATEST RECIPES
IN THIS FREE EBOOK
Sometimes it’s nice to have those summer flavors even in the middle of fall and winter! And this arugula cashew vegan pesto is perfect for that! It’s easy to make, is simple enough for meal prep and it holds up well in the refrigerator for a few days. Did I mention it’s packed with veggies and perfect to dip your roasted cauliflower in!
This dairy free vegan pesto is perfect to stir into soups, have on cauliflower rice, or used to make pesto avocado tuna wraps or in paleo artichoke pesto hummus for a perfect paleo lunch any time of the year, so make sure to always have a jar of it on hand, no matter what time of year it is!
What do you need to make pesto at home
To make this pesto, all you need is a food processor or a high powered blender! I use raw unsalted cashews in this recipe, but you could also use hemp hearts, walnuts or pine nuts to achieve a similar texture! I used Roasted Garlic Oil in this recipe to give it flavor, instead of raw garlic. The roasted garlic oil is a bit more mellow and goes well with the peppery flavor from the arugula! If you don’t have the roasted garlic olive oil, you can use 1 clove fresh garlic and 1 tbs. olive oil or avocado oil.
Everything you need to make this recipe:
- Cuisinart Food Processor
- Roasted Garlic Olive Oil
- Raw unsalted cashews
- I used almost an entire bag of arugula in this recipe because I think everything is better with more veggies in it! If you don’t love arugula or don’t have it on hand, you could also use baby spinach!
Arugula Cashew Vegan Pesto
- In a large food processor, combine basil, 1 ½ cups arugula, lemon, olive oil, cashews and ½ tsp. of salt, garlic powder with 3 tbsp. of water and process until smooth (you may need to stop this once to scrape down the sides).
- Add the remaining arugula and process until smooth. If you find that you need more liquid, add the additional tbsp. of water. Once you have the consistency you desire, taste for salt. Add up to an additional ½ tsp. of salt depending on your preference. Be sure to blend well.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week in the fridge.
- Arugula: You can also use baby spinach or baby kale.
- Cashews: You can use any nut or seed in place of cashews. You can use almonds, pine nuts, walnuts, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds would all be great here.
- Garlic powder: I prefer garlic powder over fresh garlic in pesto so that the flavor is not overwhelmed by garlic. You can also use 1-2 cloves fresh garlic (grated or minced).
- Fridge: Store in an airtight container in the fridge up to 1 week.
- Freezer: Freeze pesto in ice cube trays in individual servings. Once frozen, transfer to a freezer safe bag for up to 3 months.
SHOP MY FAVORITE FAST MEAL MUST-HAVES
Use the buttons below to buy my must-have fast meal basics and don't forget to visit my Amazon Shop!
What about you?
- What is your favorite way to enjoy pesto?
- Have you ever added pesto to your burgers for more flavor?
- What summer flavors do you crave in the fall/winter?