Slow Cooker Turkey Meatballs are the perfect weeknight meal! This recipe is packed with flavor and has an easy homemade marinara as well! Gluten free, paleo, Whole30 and even has some hidden veggies! Super easy to make and you can even freeze these as part of meal prep!
One thing that helps us stay on track during busy weeks is utilizing the slow cooker! And these turkey meatballs are not only so easy using the slow cooker but also you come home to a house that smells amazing! These are even great for prepping ahead of time and can be enjoyed on your favorite grain free pasta in just minutes!
How to make homemade turkey meatballs in the crockpot
- Start by shredding the zucchini and cooking the cauliflower rice in the microwave.
- After the cauliflower rice is cooked, add all the ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
- Mix the tomato sauce ingredients in the slow cooker. Once combined, scoop out about 1 cup of the sauce and reserve it for topping the meatballs with.
- Form the turkey mixture into meatballs and add them to the slow cooker with the tomato sauce. Top the meatballs with the sauce you reserved.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours and don’t lift the lid!
- After 6-8 hours, serve on your favorite pasta or rice!
How to hide veggies in meatballs
There are two different hidden veggies in this slow cooker turkey meatball recipe! Cauliflower rice and shredded zucchini.
The trick to adding veggies to these meatballs is to squeeze out water from the zucchini before adding it to the ground turkey! To do this you can either squeeze the water out with your hands over the sink (my go to way) or you can put the zucchini in a clean kitchen towel or paper towel and squeeze out the water over a bowl or the sink.
What to serve with slow cooker turkey meatballs
This slow cooker turkey meatball pairs well with spiralized yellow summer squash, zucchini noodles, or roasted spaghetti squash. These meatballs and tomato sauce also be great over cauliflower rice mixed with sundried tomatoes and spinach!
If you love this slow cooker turkey meatball recipe, you should try:
- Sundried tomato spinach turkey meatballs
- Whole30 Slow Cooker Cajun Chicken Recipe
- Whole30 Mini Turkey Meatloaf
Slow Cooker Turkey Meatball Recipe
- In a large bowl, combine the ground turkey, cooked quinoa or cauliflower, almond flour, chia seeds, egg, garlic clove, onion, garlic powder, dried basil, dried oregano and salt. Form into meatballs and store in a zip lock bag. These will be sticky, you might find that making in a large Tupperware container and sealing them up until the morning is easier.
- The next morning, add the crushed tomatoes, chopped tomatoes, balsamic vinegar, bay leaf, garlic powder and salt to the crock pot. Stir to combine. Scoop out about 1 cup of the tomato mixture into one of the cans. Add the meatballs and cover in the reserved tomato sauce and cook on low for 8-10 hours.
- If you don’t have a slow cooker, place the sauce ingredients in a large pot and stir, simmer over medium heat, covered. Preheat oven to 350F. Add the meat balls to a foil lined baking sheet that has been sprayed with non-stick. Bake for 20 minutes at 350F. When done cooking, add meatballs to sauce.
- Serve with summer squash noodles, roasted spaghetti squash or gluten free brown rice pasta.