I love homemade black bean veggie burgers, they are such a filling and healthy meal that is not only easy to make but always delicious! You don't have to buy those prepackaged frozen veggie burgers to have a healthy, wholesome meal in just minutes. In fact, these only take about 5 minutes of prep time then they just head into the oven to bake, giving you time to go do other things while dinner is cooking! Sounds like a win win right?
These healthy pumpkin black bean veggie burgers are gluten free, vegan, low fat and extremely filling. I just couldn't stop eating them! I made homemade microwave English muffins to serve these pumpkin black bean veggie burgers on, since Dave is just in love with those English muffins. I swear he would have one every day if he could! These burgers are also fantastic served up with some cilantro lime cauliflower rice and fajita seasoned peppers and onions. Dinner my friends does not have to be difficult to be amazing!
When you think of pumpkin I'm sure most people think sweet. But one of my favorite ways to eat pumpkin is savory, especially if you pair it with cumin and smoked paprika for that slightly smokey note. Pumpkin isn't just for dessert friends! Just be sure to buy canned pumpkin, not pumpkin pie mix, and you will be in good shape. You could also use butternut squash puree or even roast you own pumpkin and use that in these burgers. Just be sure to strain out your homemade pumpkin puree so it's not too wet or these will fall apart.
Black Bean Veggie Burgers Recipe Tips
Adding pumpkin to your homemade black bean veggie burgers gives this already healthy meal an extra boost! I also added turmeric, which is a spice known for it's anti-inflammatory qualities. These pumpkin black bean veggie burgers would be perfect for runners recovering from a long run, they have healthy carbs, protein and are packed with anti-inflammatory foods and electrolytes.
Pumpkins are full of Vitamin A – yup the same as their other orange friend carrots, pumpkin is great for your eyesight! Pumpkin like many other fruits and veggies is full of anti-oxidants, which help neutralize free radicals in the body. Pumpkin is also a great source of potassium which most people associate with bananas. Potassium is an electrolyte that helps aid in muscle recovery.
GET 10 OF MY ALL TIME GREATEST RECIPES
IN THIS FREE EBOOK
Black beans are full of fiber, protein, iron and potassium. Black beans are also full of calcium, magnesium, copper and zinc. These important minerals can help keep your joints and bones healthy as well as help you keep your weight down.
If you love veggie burgers be sure to check out these plantain black bean burgers.
Pumpkin Black Bean Burgers
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Rinse and drain the black beans, then add half the can to a bowl, and smash the black beans with the back of a fork..
- Add the pumpkin puree and chia seeds to the mashed black beans and stir.
- Add the coconut flour, hemp hearts, cumin, smoked paprika, turmeric and salt. Stir and let sit for 2 minutes.
- Add the remaining black beans and chopped red bell pepper, mix to combine.
- Divide the pumpkin black bean burger mixture into 5 or 6 patties, be sure to press the burger mixture together tightly.
- Add foil to a baking sheet and spray with non-stick spray (I use coconut oil). Place the burgers onto the baking sheet and place in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and serve! Top with tomato, avocado, freshly squeezed lime juice and romaine lettuce.
SHOP MY FAVORITE FAST MEAL MUST-HAVES
Use the buttons below to buy my must-have fast meal basics and don't forget to visit my Amazon Shop!
What about you?
- Do you ever eat pumpkin in savory dishes?
- What is your favorite homemade veggie burger combination?
- Do you eat burgers on bread or eat them on salads?