This Whole30 slow cooker cajun chicken recipe is the perfect weeknight dinner idea! Great for tacos, salads or served with rice for a quick and simple dinner on busy nights! Gluten free, paleo, Whole30 and low FODMAP!
Why you’ll love this Slow Cooker Cajun Chicken
Since I started working again full time, I have been using the slow cooker and instant pot more and more to make quick and easy dinner recipes for Dave to enjoy when he gets home from work! This Whole30 slow cooker cajun chicken recipe has quickly become one of his favorites and it’s requested very often!
And I’m not even mad about that! It’s so simple to make, all you need is a bag of frozen sliced peppers, chicken breast and the spices for the cajun seasoning (or you can buy it online or at the store if you are not following a low FODMAP diet).
HAVE DINNER ON THE TABLE WHEN YOU GET HOME WITH THESE 10 SLOW COOKER RECIPES!
One of the biggest challenges I have found when following a low FODMAP diet for Dave is that most seasonings have garlic or onion powder in them. After removing garlic and onion from Dave’s diet for 6 weeks, we found that he was highly reactive to them when we tried to add them back in, so for now, I still make most of the seasonings we use from scratch!
If you are following a low FODMAP diet, you will want to keep a big batch of this super simple cajun seasoning in your pantry to use on everything! It’s great on Cajun Parsnip Fries or even on carrot fries!
What is Cajun Seasoning?
Cajun seasoning is a blend of spices that are commonly used in Cajun cuisine. It is usually a mixture of:
To make Cajun seasoning low FODMAP you will want to remove the garlic or onion and add dried chives and use a garlic olive oil in your recipes. This gives you all the flavor you would associate with Cajun seasoning without the garlic or onion.
Is Cajun Chicken Spicy?
When you make cajun seasoning from scratch, you can control the level of spice by how much cayenne pepper you add. Dave personally doesn’t love spice, so the recipe below is not very spicy. If you want to add more spice, you could also add red pepper flakes to the bell peppers in the slow cooker.
Tips for making Cajun Chicken Recipe in the Slow Cooker
- You can make the Cajun chicken recipe in the slow cooker without the frozen sliced peppers, however, the peppers add moisture and keep the spices from burning!
- Coat the chicken in garlic olive oil to add more flavor. This also helps the seasoning stick to the chicken, however, the olive oil is not required to make the seasoning stick!
- Be sure to generously coat your chicken breast in cajun seasoning! You want your cajun chicken to be packed with flavor when you shred it!
- To save time, you can use a store bought Cajun seasoning! I love the Frontier brand if you don’t have issues with garlic and don’t want to measure your own spices!
- Make a double or triple batch of Cajun seasoning so you can make this recipe in minutes on days when you are too busy to measure out spices! Be sure to store you extra spices in a glass container! I like to save my spice containers when they are empty and reuse them!
- Make a double batch of this recipe and use the leftovers cold or hot for salads, to add to soups, to put in wraps or to serve in lettuce wraps with your favorite Dairy Free Paleo Coleslaw
Whole30 Slow Cooker Cajun Chicken Recipe
- To make the cajun seasoning, combine all ingredients in a bullet style blender or a coffee grinder dedicated to seasonings. Blend until the fennel seeds are well ground. Store in a glass container
Cajun Chicken Recipe
- Coat the chicken in the garlic olive oil and sprinkle 2 tbsp of the cajun seasoning over the chicken. Use your hands to make sure the chicken is covered well in the seasoning if needed.
- Add the bag of frozen bell peppers and 1 tbsp of cajun seasoning to the bottom of the crockpot.
- Add the coated cajun chicken breasts to over the frozen bell peppers. Cook on low for 8 hours or high for 6 hours.
- After cooking, remove the chicken from the crockpot and cut into cubes or shred with 2 forks.
- Serve with the bell peppers over cauliflower rice, rice, in lettuce cups with cole slaw, on salads, soups or in a wrap!
SHOP MY FAVORITE FAST MEAL MUST-HAVES
Use the buttons below to buy my must-have fast meal creation basics and visit my Amazon Shop!