Classic banana bread elevated with the addition of protein powder, giving this protein banana bread the seal of approval. This protein banana bread would be the perfect pre or post workout snack and is perfect for anyone; it's gluten free, vegan, dairy free and delicious!
Everyone likely has that classic banana bread recipe. Bananas blended with white and brown flour, butter, all purpose flour, vanilla. Classic, and well not super healthy. The bananas unfortunately do not make it health food :( Great news though! There is still a way to enjoy that classic banana bread taste while sticking to the new clean or healthy eating routine you established at the beginning of the year! Maybe you are just looking for a new recipe or are making this for someone with a gluten sensitivity or a vegan.
Banana bread is a great gift to bring to a friend that has just had a baby or moved into a new home. It's also the perfect thing to bake on Sunday afternoons so you can enjoy it post dinner and as a morning snack. Banana bread out of the oven; I have yet to find a candle that mimics that smell. It's just heavenly! And this protein banana bread delivers. The heavy cinnamon smell grabs your attention first, only to be followed by that distinct banana smell that makes you want to just drool.
GET 10 OF MY ALL TIME GREATEST RECIPES
IN THIS FREE EBOOK
Adding hemp hearts on the outside and protein powder to the batter gives this banana bread gold stars in my book. Protein helps you stay full longer, it's also important to pair things like banana with protein or fats, to ensure that your blood sugar does't get too wacky. The banana, flax, coconut flour, and oat flour add substantial fiber to this dish, making this the perfect breakfast!
You will notice there are 4 bananas in the recipe, and this makes the bread a little denser than most banana bread recipes I've had in the past. There are also no eggs to help the protein banana bread rise, so you will get some height with the baking powder, it won't grow quite as much as traditional banana bread. To tell if the banana bread is done, you will want to press down lightly on the top of the bread. If it feels firm, it's likely done. Allow the bread to cool before slicing.
My favorite way to enjoy this protein banana bread is toasted (the toaster oven makes this so easy) and slathered with cinnamon raisin peanut butter. Oh I die! Almond butter would also be a great option as well! If you love banana bread as much as I do, you should check out the chocolate peanut butter banana bread recipe as well! It's one of my favorites, and is requested often in my house!
Protein Banana Bread
- 4 medium bananas - mashed
- 2 1/2 scoop vanilla vegan protein powder - I used MRM Veggie Elite
- 2 tbs. coconut flour
- 3 flax eggs - 3 tbs. flax, 9 tbs. hot water
- 1/2 cup oat flour - gluten free
- 1/2 cups brown rice flour
- 4-5 packet stevia - or sweetener of choice
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 3 tbs. hemp hearts for topping - optional
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a small bowl, make 3 flax eggs by combining 3 tbs. ground flax seeds with 9 tbs. water. Allow to sit 5 minutes. While waiting, continue by mashing bananas.
- In a large bowl, mash bananas until smooth. Add protein powder, coconut flour, and stevia. Mix to combine.
- Add oat flour, brown rice flour and flax eggs.
- Mix thoroughly.
- Add vanilla. cinnamon,and pinch of salt. Stir to combine.
- Cut a piece of parchment paper to fit in teh bottom of your bread pan. Spray parchment and rest of the bread pan liberally with non-stick spray (coconut oil).
- Add baking powder and baking soda to batter. Stir to combine and immediately transfer to greased pan. Sprinkle top with hemp hearts.
- Place in the oven for 55-65 minutes on 350 (depending on your oven). You can turn off your oven after 60 minutes and let the bread sit an additional 10 minutes if you are unsure about the bread.
- Allow to cool on the counter before slicing. Store in an airtight container int he refrigerator for up to 5 days.
SHOP MY FAVORITE FAST MEAL MUST-HAVES
Use the buttons below to buy my must-have fast meal basics and don't forget to visit my Amazon Shop!
What About You?
- Do you have a favorite candle scent?
- Plan on watching the Superbowl today? Who are you rooting for?
- Thoughts on a recipe we can try to add protein too?