Try this simple green cauliflower rice with dinner tonight. Have you been looking for an easy healthy side dish? This cauliflower rice is simple to make, with the use of Trader Joe’s cauliflower rice. Once I got the idea in my head, this rice dish was ready in 10 minutes.
My days have been chaotic. I haven’t had air conditioning in my car all summer. It’s been 95-100 degrees more than 10 days here in NC and my car has been unbearably hot to drive in. My drive home from work is anywhere between 35-60 minutes depending on the day and what time I leave work. So, I have been going into work a little later and staying until 6:30-7 pm in order to avoid some of the traffic I would normally sit in. This means I’m not getting home from work until after 7:30 most nights. Dinner has to be quick because I’m normally a cranky monster by the time I walk in the door.
This green cauliflower rice has been a savior for those days. In the summer I crave fresh herbs and it’s so difficult for me to turn on the stove or oven after driving in 100 degree heat. This cauliflower rice just needs 5-6 minutes on the stove and it’s ready to be made “green”! The greens come in the form of fresh spinach, basil, parsley and cilantro. Add a clove of garlic and some lime juice and you have a tasty side dish!
I actually love having mixing in chick peas, grilled artichokes and grilled veggies and making this side dish a full meal! It’s would also be great on the side of grilled chicken, grilled fish or balsamic tofu! You really can’t go wrong with this easy side dish. This dish is a great way to hide veggies from your kiddos as well. Instead of grains for dinner, you will be serving your kids (unsuspectingly) cauliflower! And don’t forget that spinach!
"Green" Cauliflower Rice
- 1 package Trader Joe's Cauliflower rice or 1 caulifower, riced in food processor
- 1 cup spinach
- 10-15 basil leaves
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
- 2 Juice of 1-2 limes
- 1 clove garlic chopped
- 2-3 tbs tbs.hemp hearts optional
- 2-3 tbs water
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large skillet, heat cauliflower rice over medium heat for 5-6 minutes until all water has been removed.
- While cauliflower rice is cooking, make the green sauce in the food processor.
- Add fresh herbs, lime juice, minced garlic, hemp hearts and 2 tbs. water and 1/4 tsp. salt. Process until mixture is fully combined into a sauce. Add additional tablespoon of water if needed. Process again and taste for salt. Add another pinch of salt if needed.
- Take rice off of heat and add 2-3 tbs. of the "green" mixture. Stir to combine.
- Serve with your favorite protein or use it as a base for a yummy veggie bowl.
- If you have left over green sauce, it's great over grilled veggies, grilled chicken or fish or on a pizza!
What about you?
- Do you have a go to side dish for days when you need food now?
- What is your go to dish in the summer?
- Do you have a grill? What would you serve with this?