Creamy, tangy Whole30 cauliflower potato salad is the perfect side dish for your summer cookout or weeknight dinner! Vegan, gluten free, paleo and super simple! Plus it’s dairy and mayo free and will hold up in the heat of the summer BBQ.
Eating Whole30 has been a fun adventure for me so far. I’m on day 15 and so far haven’t had any trouble making my meals Whole30 compliant. Not relying on bottled dressings or sauces makes it a no-brainer for me. So when I was craving potato salad over 4th of July, I came up with this yummy recipe based on a suggestion from one of my clients. She said, have you ever tried potato salad but use cauliflower instead. And I love mashed cauliflower, roasted cauliflower and riced cauliflower, so I knew I had to try this!
Growing up my mom made my Grandpop’s potato salad for all of our holiday meals and at least 2-3 times each summer. It is nothing short of addicting and I go a little out of control everytime she makes it. I love using the cauliflower in this potato salad because it helps full me up without that carb spike to follow. Plus it’s made with super healthy fats and even some protein from the tahini dressing.
Even though the recipe I love is a mayo based recipe, I have to be honest, I don’t love mayo. And since I can’t have dairy on Whole30 (and greek yogurt really upsets my stomach recently – BOO!) making a creamy dressing with tahini was the perfect compromise. Do you keep tahini in your pantry? I’m so obsessed! When I first tried tahini I thought it was so nasty, but now I eat it on everything and it’s my favorite base for dressing, even cauliflower potato salad.
Keeping things a little traditional, this whole30 Cauliflower potato salad has chopped celery. I added Wildtree dill dip blend because I love potato salad with a touch of dill seasoning. You can also use celery seeds in this recipe as well! If you are grilling out, you can make this dish right on the grill with a cast iron skillet. Otherwise you can sautee it up on the stove before it gets too hot outside.
- 1 head cauliflower, trimmed from stalk, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 tbs. coconut oil or avocado oil
- 2 celery ribs, chiopped
- 1 tsp. salt, divided
- 3 tbs. tahini
- 3 tbs. apple cider vinegar
- 2-3 tbs. water
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. Wildtree Dill Dip Blend
- Heat a large skillet or cast iron pan over medium high heat.
- Add the chopped cauliflower stalks and cook until lightly browned (about 6-7 minutes, stirring occasionally). Add ½ tsp. of salt.
- Add 2-3 tbs. of water and cover. Cook additional 5 minutes until softened slghtly (don't allow cauliflower to get too soft)
- Remove cauliflower from heat and make the dressing in a small bowl.
- Combine the remaining ½ tsp. salt, tahini, apple cider vinegar, 2 tbs. water, garlic powder and dill dip blend. If too thick, add another tablespoon of water.
- Chop celery and add to the cauliflower. Pour dressing over cauliflower and celery. Mix well to coat.
- You can refridgerate until needed, can be made up to 2 days before
Best Picnic Recipes to Enjoy at the Park #SundaySupper
Starters, Skewers, and Sandwiches al Fresco
- Antipasto Skewers by Soulfully Made
- Buffalo Chicken Dip Recipe by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Cream Cheese Slider Sandwiches by Bottom Left of the Mitten
- Italian Layered Portable Picnic Jars by The Weekend Gourmet
- Low Carb Ham Pinwheels by Cricket’s Confections
- Patatas Brava Chorizo Sausage Rolls by Food Lust People Love
- Refrigerator Pickled Ratatouille Vegetables by My Life Cookbook
- Tuna Salad Lettuce Wraps by The Crumby Kitchen
Stow-and-Go Sides and Salads
- Authentic German Potato Salad by Sunday Supper Movement
- Avocado Bacon Loaded Pasta Salad by Daily Dish Recipes
- BBQ Ranch Pasta Salad by Cooking With Carlee
- Broccoli Slaw by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Jalapeno Popper Macaroni Salad by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Marinated Zucchini and Summer Squash by Caroline’s Cooking
- Old Fashioned Potato Salad by Life Tastes Good
- Roasted Cauliflower Salad by Family Foodie
- Southern Cornbread Salad by Gourmet Everyday
- Summer Quinoa Salad by Simple and Savory
- Watermelon and Avocado Salad by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Whole30 Cauliflower Potato Salad by Bites of Wellness
Drinks and Desserts for Outdoor Dining
- Banana Snack Cake by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Blueberry Hand Pies by Our Good Life
- Cantaloupe Mint Lemonade by Palatable Pastime
- Cherry Poke Cake by Pies and Plots
- Chocolate Caramel Layer Bars by Turnips 2 Tangerines
- Chocolate Cherry No Bake Bars by The Freshman Cook
- Mixed Fruit Drink by Basic N Delicious
- Rice Krispie Sushi by NinjaBaker.com
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.