Cauliflower potato salad is the perfect side dish for summer cookouts or simple healthy weeknight meals. The creamy salad is made with a tahini dressing, so it’s made without mayo and is dairy free! Naturally gluten free, dairy free, low carb and Whole30 friendly!
Why this recipe works?
- This cauliflower potato salad is just like traditional potato salad but made with cauliflower instead of potatoes, making it low carb and keto friendly!
- Since there is no mayo in this salad, this is perfect for taking to summer bbq’s and potlucks! Everyone can enjoy this side dish, it’s gluten free, low carb, keto, vegan and Whole30 friendly.
- This cauliflower potato salad is even better the next day so it’s great for meal prep as well. Make a double or triple amount and enjoy all week!
- Avocado oil
- Chopped celery
- Apple cider vinegar
- Garlic powder
- Dried dill
Chop the cauliflower florets into bite size pieces.
Preheat a cast iron skillet (or stainless steel skillet) over medium heat for 4-5 minutes. Once the cast iron skillet is hot, add the avocado oil to the skillet and the cauliflower florets. Cook over medium heat for 7 minutes.
After cooking, add 2-3 tbsp. of water to the pan and cover . Cook 5 minutes until slightly softened (you don’t want it to get too soft).
While the cauliflower is cooking, chop the celery into small pieces and make the dressing.
To make the tahini dressing, combine the tahini, apple cider vinegar, salt, garlic power and dried dill. Stir well.
Once the cauliflower is cooked through, add it to a large bowl. Add the rest of the ingredients and stir well.
Store in the fridge for up to 4 days.
How to best prepare cauliflower
Cauliflower can get mushy when boiled or steamed, so the best way to prepare cauliflower for this dish is to cook it in a cast iron skillet (or stainless steel skillet) so that it can retain some texture and crunch.
You can also cook the cauliflower on the grill using a cast iron pan. Preheat the pan on the grill over medium heat.
What to serve this with?
- BBQ Shredded Chicken
- Avocado Ranch Broccoli Slaw
- Baked Chicken Drumsticks
- Air Fryer Salmon
- Black bean burgers
Other ingredients you can add in:
- Chopped eggs
- Chopped pickles
- Fresh chopped chives
- Celery seeds
Meal prep tips:
This recipe is great to make ahead whether it’s for a cook out or just for your normal meal prep! Since the cauliflower doesn’t get soggy, you can make this cauliflower potato salad up to 2 days before an event! Be sure to double or triple the recipe and enjoy it all week!
Store in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 4 days. This recipe is actually better the next day so making it ahead is actually a great idea.
Freezing this is not ideal since the cauliflower will get watery when defrosting.
What is tahini?
Tahini is a paste made from ground sesame seeds, just like peanut butter or almond butter.
Tahini is usually found in the same area as the other nut butters but often may be found in other sections of the grocery stores as well (Ethnic cooking section).
Tahini: You can also use almond butter, cashew butter or sunflower seed butter in place of the tahini.
Cauliflower: You can also use potatoes (not low carb) or even broccoli in place of cauliflower.
Apple cider vinegar: You can also use white wine vinegar or lemon juice.
If you love this recipe you should try:
- Crunchy Broccoli Salad with Lemon Tahini Dressing
- Kale Brussel Sprouts Salad with Cranberries
- Zucchini Pasta Salad with Italian Dressing
- Vegan Cannellini Bean Salad
- Cruciferous Crunch Salad with Lemon Tahini Dressing
- Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad with Creamy Balsamic Dressing
- Dairy Free Paleo Coleslaw
Whole30 Cauliflower Potato Salad
Guided Recipe Video
- Heat a large skillet or cast iron pan over medium high heat.
- Add the chopped cauliflower stalks and cook until lightly browned (about 6-7 minutes, stirring occasionally). Add 1/2 tsp. of salt.
- Add 2-3 tbs. of water and cover. Cook additional 5 minutes until softened slghtly (don’t allow cauliflower to get too soft)
- Remove cauliflower from heat and make the dressing in a small bowl.
- Combine the remaining 1/2 tsp. salt, tahini, apple cider vinegar, 2 tbsp water, garlic powder and dried dill. If too thick, add another tablespoon of water.
- Chop celery and add to the cauliflower. Pour dressing over cauliflower and celery. Mix well to coat.
- You can refridgerate until needed, can be made up to 2 days before
- Tahini: You can also use almond butter, cashew butter or sunflower seed butter in place of the tahini.
- Cauliflower: You can also use potatoes (not low carb) or even broccoli in place of cauliflower.
- Apple cider vinegar: You can also use white wine vinegar or lemon juice.
Update Notes: This recipe was originally posted in July of 2017, but was published again in June 2020 to include step by step directions, recipe notes and new photos