Zucchini crust pizza makes the perfect personal size pizza that is packed full of veggies! The crust gets crispy and golden, and is the perfect low carb pizza crust! Gluten free, grain free, dairy free options.
You might not know that deep down I am a pizza lover at heart! However, I got so tired of feeling so sluggish and uncomfortable after eating pizza made the traditional way. When I first became a vegetarian 15 years ago, I had no idea how to eat vegetarian, but I knew I wasn’t going to eat meat anymore. Well that made me a carb lover – pasta, pizza, baked potatoes, and cereal. All the usual culprits.
Creating a pizza crust made from vegetables is a great way to still enjoy my favorite flavors and foods without the discomfort. This zucchini pizza crust, cauliflower crust pizza or even using sweet potato rounds as pizza bases are a great alternative to traditional pizza crust! It’s not exactly the same but that’s ok with me!
Back to this zucchini pizza. It’s also going into my list of vegetable based favorites that I can enjoy whenever I like, since it’s such an easy recipe to throw together! The zucchini pizza crust is the perfect texture, full of veggies and it holds up well to toppings!
Zucchini is full of vitamin C! I don’t know about you but I’m always looking for a way to get my daily recommended dose of Vitamin C! I have found that every little action helps when it comes to keeping my immune system in tip top shape.
Zucchini is often recommended to people on a weight management plan, as it is low in calories and full of fiber. I love zucchini for how filling it is. There is no question why zoodles (zucchini noodles) have become all the rage, zucchini has a very mild flavor and can easily take the place of pasta; or in this case flour in pizza crust.
Zucchini Pizza Crust Recipe Tips
Preparing the zucchini:
Shred the zucchini with either a hand grater or a food processor with the shredding attachment.
There is quite a bit of water in the zucchini. To get a crispy crust it is important to ring out as much of the water as possible. The easiest way to do this is to squeeze the zucchini shreds over the sink with your hands in small batches. You can also stack the shredded zucchini in a few paper towels or a kitchen towel to wring out the water or use a mesh strainer and a wooden spoon. Either way you want to get as much of the water out of the zucchini as possible. Don’t skip this step!!
How to add more protein and keep this zucchini pizza crust grain free:
Ground flax will help absorb any lingering liquid from the zucchini and help create a very crunchy crust! If you don’t have ground flax, you could try ground chia seeds as well.
Hemp hearts: Hemp hearts are a great way to add more protein and healthy fats to the zucchini crust pizza! If you haven’t tried hemp hearts yet, they can be found at most grocery stores now and have a nutty flavor that works great in savory dishes! Try this creamy garlic pasta sauce made from hemp hearts!
Zucchini Pizza Crust topping ideas:
Outside of typical pizza toppings, you could top the zucchini pizza crust with these fun ideas!
- Roasted tomatoes
- Roasted red bell peppers
- Dairy free pesto
- BBQ chicken
- Sweet and sour chicken
- Smoked salmon
Zucchini Pizza Crust
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Shred zucchini. Remove excess liquid from zucchini by pressing it into mesh strainer or ringing it out with paper towels.
- Once zucchini is as dry as possible, spread out on a parchment paper lined baking sheet, sprinkle with salt, and bake for 10 minutes at 400 degrees.
- Remove the zucchini from the oven and place in a bowl.
- Add egg, mozzarella cheese, garlic powder, hemp hearts, and ground flax seeds. Stir until everything is combined.
- Spray the parchment paper with coconut oil. Add the dough to the parchment paper and press the dough out into a pizza shape crust. The crust will be thin but should not have any holes or gaps.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. Take out of the oven.
- CAREFULLY flip the crust to the other side, and bake another 5 minutes.
- Take out of the oven, add toppings and bake another 5 minutes at 400 degrees.