Tomato Basil Salad is a quick and healthy recipe that only takes 5 minutes to make and is incredibly delicious! This salad is light and refreshing and perfect for weeknight meals, cookouts, brunch or appetizers! Vegan, dairy free, gluten free, paleo, Whole30 and low carb friendly!
Why this recipe works:
- This healthy salad only has 6 ingredients and is so easy to make
- This salad is great for topping eggs for breakfast, as brunch, for lunch or dinner.
- This tomato basil salad recipe is gluten free, dairy free, paleo, vegan and Whole30.
How do you make simple tomato basil salad?
- Step 1: Start by halving the cherry tomatoes (or slicing up a larger tomato). Add the tomatoes to a large bowl.
- Step 2: Finely chop the red onion so that there are no huge chunks to bite down on. Add the red onion to the bowl with the tomatoes.
- Step 3: Chop the basil. The best way to do this is to chiffonade the basil. Simply stack all the basil leaves on top of each other. Then roll the basil up into a log. Cut thin strips down the basil shaped log.
- Step 4: Pour the vinegar over the mixture and add salt and pepper. Stir well. Serve immediately or allow to sit to further combine.
What else can you add to this tomato basil salad?
- Chopped cucumber
- Chopped chicken, shrimp, salmon, steak, chickpeas or white beans (vegan)
- Feta cheese, mozzarella cheese, blue cheese
- Chopped green onion
- Fresh parsley, oregano, thyme
GET 10 OF MY ALL TIME GREATEST RECIPES
IN THIS FREE EBOOK
How to serve this healthy tomato basil salad?
This salad is great as a side dish. It can also be used as part of the meal or as an appetizer.
- Serve over pasta or zucchini noodles
- Stuffed in an omelet or on top of eggs
- On flatbread like pizza (like a margarita style pizza)
- Top crusty bread (like bruschetta)
- On top of grilled chicken, grilled salmon
Why should you add vinegar to this tomato basil salad?
The vinegar actually helps neutralize the bite from the red onion and helps it taste sweeter. This is a trick I learned years ago. If I have time I often allow red onions to soak in vinegar before adding them to a salad.
What kind of vinegar should you use?
I like to use white balsamic so that the vinegar doesn’t take away from how pretty the tomatoes are. But regular balsamic or sherry vinegar is great as well!
Why cherry tomatoes?
Cherry tomatoes are great in this recipe because they are easy to chop and make a great presentation. Larger tomatoes are often full of seeds and can make the tomato basil salad a little too watery.
What if you don't have fresh basil?
If you don't have fresh basil, you can use fresh parsley, mint, oregano or thyme. It will change the flavor but still be very refreshing. You can also try dried basil (about 1 tsp per pint of tomatoes).
If you love this tomato basil salad recipe you should try:
- Blistered tomatoes
- 6 Ingredient Cannellini Bean Salad
- Easy Watermelon Gazpacho
- Tomato Avocado Salad
- Greek Spaghetti Squash Salad
Tomato Basil Salad
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl, Stir with a spoon and let sit 5 minutes before serving. Store in air tight glass container for up to 2 days in the fridge.
- Cook time indicates rest time.
SHOP MY FAVORITE FAST MEAL MUST-HAVES
Use the buttons below to buy my must-have fast meal creation basics and visit my Amazon Shop!
Update Notes: This recipe was originally posted in May of 2015, but was published again in May of 2019 to include step by step directions, new photos and a video.