You are going to love this easy recipe for oven baked chicken breast!
This recipe creates tender, juicy, and flavorful chicken breast. Say goodbye to dry chicken for good!
Table of contents
- Why this recipe works
- How to bake chicken breast so they are juicy
- Tips to making the juiciest chicken breast in the oven
- What seasonings are best for oven baked chicken breast
- Other spices you can use
- More easy ways to prepare chicken
- How to store/freeze baked chicken breast
- Substitutions and FAQs
- What side dishes would go well oven baked chicken breast
Why this recipe works
- In under 30 minutes, you get juicy, tender, moist chicken breasts from the oven.
- This recipe is great for meal prep and you can easily make chicken for 2 or 6 using the same method.
- Boneless skinless chicken breast is low in fat and high in protein, making them the perfect addition to almost any meal.
- This recipe preparation is Whole30, low carb, and super simple to make.
- Make ahead and serve over salads like this cruciferous crunch salad or serve it with a simple side dish like this instant pot cauliflower mash for a quick and easy dinner.
- Olive oil – olive oil helps to coat the chicken breast and also helps the spices stick. You could also use avocado oil.
- Spices: Salt, garlic powder, paprika, dried thyme – the garlic powder adds umami and the paprika gives the chicken a deep flavor. The dried thyme is a very complimentary flavor to the paprika and doesn’t overwhelm the dish. See more spice blend combinations below.
- Boneless, skinless chicken breast – This recipe works well if the chicken are about the same thickness. The thicker the chicken, the longer it will take to bake in the oven.
How to bake chicken breast so they are juicy
- Step 1: Start by preheating the oven to 375F. Combine the olive oil and spices to form a paste.
- Step 2: Brush the paste over both sides of the boneless, skinless chicken breast. Alternatively, you can add the spices and olive oil to a bowl and coat the chicken but I find brushing the chicken to be much easier and requires less clean up.
- Step 3: Bake the chicken for 25-30 minutes at 375F depending on how big each breast is. Make sure the chicken reaches 165F.
- Step 4: Take the chicken out of the oven and allow it to rest for 5-10 minutes (you can tent it with foil to retain the heat). Thinly slice the chicken (against the grain if possible) to easily use it for meal prep during the week.
Tips to making the juiciest chicken breast in the oven
Chicken breast is not very forgiving. It dries out quickly and can become dry, rubbery and dull. To avoid this, you want to make sure you don’t overcook the chicken.
- The thickness of your chicken will determine the cooking time. For thicker breasts, you may need up to 30 minutes. Start checking around 25 minutes.
- Be sure to coat the chicken in oil and spices before baking. This helps seal in the flavor and gives the chicken a crust to hold in the juices.
- Don’t immediately cut the chicken breast. All the juice you worked so hard to preserve will come spilling out.
- Slice the chicken against the grain (against the fibers of the muscle) to get the most tender cut.
What seasonings are best for oven baked chicken breast
To make the most flavorful chicken breast that will go with almost any dish, here are the spices that work the best:
- Garlic powder
- Dried Thyme
- Olive oil or avocado oil
Note: if you cannot tolerate garlic and want to make this juicy chicken low FODMAP friendly, you can omit the garlic powder and use garlic infused olive oil instead.
Other spices you can use
- Cajun Seasoning – add 1 teaspoon cajun seasoning to the other spices
- Ranch Seasoning – combine 1 tablespoon dried chives, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon dried parsley, 1/2 teaspoon dried dill to make the ranch seasoning. Use about 2 teaspoons of this mixture to coat the chicken with salt and olive oil.
- Everything Bagel seasoning – omit the paprika and dried thyme. Use 2 teaspoons everything bagel seasoning instead.
- Italian seasoning – omit the paprika and dried thyme. Add 1 teaspoon italian seasoning.
- Smoky – add 1 teaspoon ground cumin and use smoked paprika in place of the paprika.
- Za’atar – omit the dried thyme and add 1 teaspoon za’atar seasoning.
- Taco – omit the dried thyme and add 2 teaspoons taco seasoning
More easy ways to prepare chicken
- Slow cooker shredded chicken
- Instant pot Shredded Chicken Thighs
- Baked Chicken Drumsticks
- 10 minute Ranch Chicken Skillet
- Dijon chicken thighs sheet pan meal
- 10 Minute Skillet Italian Chicken
- Air Fryer Buffalo Chicken
How to store/freeze baked chicken breast
Once cooled, store the chicken breast in an airtight container for 3 (max 4 days) in the refrigerator.
To store the chicken breast in the freezer, slice the chicken first and portion it into individual servings. Store in an freezer safe container for up to 3 months.
Juicy Oven Baked Chicken Breast Meal Prep Tips
Usually, I slice all the chicken after it’s rested for 5-10 minutes so I can pack it away for the week and forget about it. However, if you have the time, the chicken is even juicier if you can allow the chicken to sit overnight before slicing.
Substitutions and FAQs
Can you use chicken tenders instead
Yes, however since chicken tenders are smaller, you will want to reduce the cooking time. Chicken tenders should be ready in 14-16 minutes at 375F.
How to speed up cooking time of boneless skinless chicken breast
- Pound the chicken thinner (use a plastic bag and a meat mallet or a rolling pin)
- Increase the oven temperature. You can increase the oven temperature to 450F and cook for 16-18 minutes, be sure the chicken reaches 165F).
- Cut the chicken down into chicken tenders
How do you know if your chicken breast is done
The best way to tell if chicken breast is fully cooked is to use an instant read thermometer. Stick the thermometer in the thickest part of the chicken (make sure you don’t go all the way to the pan) and check the temperature. It should read 165F.
Chicken also has some carry overcooking, so if you take it out and the temperature is about 162F, it will likely reach 165F as it’s resting on the counter waiting to be sliced.
Can you use frozen chicken breast
To get the best texture and juiciest chicken, it’s best to fully defrost chicken breast before baking in the oven. If you need dinner quick, try using your instant pot with frozen chicken breast.
What side dishes would go well oven baked chicken breast
- Whole30 Cauliflower Potato Salad
- Shaved brussel sprouts with creamy balsamic dressing
- 5 minute Creamy Kale
- Creamy Garlic Butternut Squash Noodles
- Sriracha brussel sprouts
Juicy Oven Baked Chicken Breast$11.00 Recipe/$1.83 Serving
- 1 tbsp olive oil - $0.22
- 1 tsp garlic powder - $0.10
- 1/2 tsp paprika - $0.05
- 1/2 tsp salt - $0.05
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme - $0.05
- 1.5 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast - $10.49
- Preheat the oven to 375F
- Mix together the olive oil and spices.
- Place the chicken breast on a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Spread half the olive oil spice rub on the chicken breast. Flip and coat the other side
- Bake the chicken in a 375F oven for 25-30 minutes (depending on thickness)
- Remove from the oven an allow to rest for 5-10 minutes
- Slice thin.
Thursday 24th of March 2022
Absolutely delicious! Definitely will be my go to recipe. My husband is very very picky when it comes to chicken and he was amazed how delicious this was!
Saturday 17th of April 2021
I was skeptical of the juicy part but my entire family was surprised by how juicy and delicious this recipe is. Will definitely make again and again!! So tender, juicy & flavorful!! YUM! Thank you for sharing!
Sunday 23rd of August 2020
Do you cover it in foil when baking in the oven?
Wednesday 26th of August 2020
Nope, just follow the directions as stated in the post!
Thursday 20th of August 2020
This is now my go to for chicken breast. It comes out so moist; you’d think it was from a cooked whole bird.
Wednesday 26th of August 2020
So glad you love this recipe!! We love it too!
Tuesday 24th of March 2020
I have made this chicken 2x and it has been REALLY good - I added a bit of garlic powder and about 1/4 tsp of cayenne pepper. This is totally something you can stick in the oven and walk away from - it takes a bit longer to cook in my oven which is a bit funky but I budget time accordingly!