Coffee banana protein smoothie is the perfect quick and easy breakfast recipe!
This protein packed coffee smoothie is full of healthy ingredients and of course caffeine (cold brew or homemade coffee)! You are going to love this gluten free, dairy free, vegan coffee smoothie!
Why you will love this coffee banana smoothie
- Smoothies are a great on the go breakfast! The added bonus is the extra caffeine kick!
- You can add veggies to your breakfast without even noticing them! Add frozen cauliflower, frozen zucchini or even frozen spinach, you won’t even taste them!
- Start your day with a healthy, filling breakfast! This coffee banana protein smoothie is filled with protein, fiber and veggies! The protein and fiber will help you feel fuller for longer!
- You can prep coffee protein shake ahead of time and simply add the prepped ingredients to the blender and have breakfast ready in 1 minute.
- Water (or dairy free milk)
- Cold Brew Coffee (store bought or homemade)
- Cauliflower Rice (or frozen zucchini or frozen spinach)
- Banana (frozen)
- Medjool Date (or maple syrup)
- Chia seeds (to help thicken the smoothie)
- Protein powder (or protein of choice)
How to make a coffee protein shake
- Add all the ingredients to the blender in the order stated.
- Blend on high for 1 minute until smooth.
Coffee banana smoothie common questions
The easiest way to add protein to this smoothie is with protein powder. I love using a vegan protein powder, it helps thicken the smoothie and gives them an almost frosty like consistency. I love Nuzest protein and highly recommend giving them a try! You could also use:
– Nut butter (almond butter, peanut butter, tahini)
– Hemp hearts
– Greek yogurt (dairy free or regular)
– Collagen peptides (not vegan)
– Peanut flour
– Chia seeds
1. Use coffee ground for french press (a larger ground than what you find in traditional pre-ground coffee)
2. Add coffee to a french press and top it with fresh filtered water
3. Store the french press in the fridge overnight
4. In the morning, press the coffee and viola, homemade cold brew coffee!
5. Drink immediately or store for up to 48 hours in the fridge.
There are also really great cold brew coffee kits that you can make a pitcher of cold brew coffee at a time by just adding a pod of coffee to a large pitcher of water.
If you have leftover coffee or want to make it specifically for smoothies, you can freeze the leftovers in ice cube molds. Once the coffee is frozen, you can pop the coffee cubes out of the molds and store them in a freezer safe container for easy use!
Smoothie packs are a great way to make your smoothie in less than 2 minutes on those busy mornings! Simply take a few minutes on the weekend or when you have free time to make 3-4 smoothie packs at once.
To make a smoothie pack, simply measure out the ingredients that can be stored in the freezer ahead of time and store them in individual bags. My favorite bags are Stasher bags which are made from silicone and great for the environment!
To make a smoothie pack for these coffee banana protein smoothies you would put these ingredients in the bag:
– Frozen cauliflower
– Chia seeds
– Cold brew coffee cubes (if you are using cubes instead of fresh cold brew)
The day you plan on making these smoothies, you just dump the smoothie pack in the blender with dairy free milk (or water), protein, cold brew coffee and 1 date (pitted). Blend on high until smooth!
Banana: To make this coffee smoothie without banana, you can add extra cauliflower rice and 1-2 more dates. If you are trying to keep this lower in carbs, you could also use your favorite low calorie sweetener.
Protein powder: If you don’t want to use protein powder, you could also use:
- Nut butter (almond butter, peanut butter, tahini)
- Hemp hearts
- Greek yogurt (dairy free or regular)
- Collagen peptides (not vegan)
- Peanut flour
- Chia seeds
Coffee: You could also use espresso shots. You will want to use 1 or 2 shots of espresso depending on how strong you want the coffee flavor.
Medjool dates: The dates add sweetness to the smoothie. You could also use 1-2 tablespoons of maple syrup or honey or omit the date completely if you don’t care for super sweet coffee drinks.
Cauliflower Rice: Frozen cauliflower rice helps make the smoothie thicker and also adds veggies to your breakfast. You could also use frozen zucchini, frozen spinach or you can omit it from the recipe.
Coffee Banana Protein Smoothie$4.03 Recipe/$4.03 Serving
Guided Recipe Video
- Add all the ingredients to a high speed blender in the order listed.
- Blend on high until smooth.
IN THIS FREE EBOOK