This slow cooker shredded chicken is going to change your mind about meal prep and getting dinner on the table in no time! This recipe is so easy to follow, paleo, gluten free and full of flavor!
Why you’ll love this slow cooker shredded chicken
If you are anything like us, we are always rushing around, especially at dinnertime. And sometimes after a long day of recipe testing, the last thing I want to do is cook a full meal! That is why Dave and I both try to have a few staples prepped for the week so we can get dinner on the table quickly! For Dave, we always make this slow cooker shredded chicken and I always make hard boiled eggs, a frittata and some roasted veggies for me so I’m never staring into the fridge wondering what to make when I’m starving after a long day.
Don’t let this recipe fool you, it’s incredibly simple and I have found that if you have to leave the chicken in the slow cooker for even longer, it just gets more tender and moist, so you can cook it overnight or while you are out and about during the day! It makes putting a healthy meal on the table almost effortless.
I know you are already thinking, there is no way my family is going to eat plain shredded chicken every night for dinner. I am not suggesting that at all! Think of this shredded chicken as a blank canvas for any of your favorite seasonings or sauces!
What do you need to make crockpot shredded chicken
How to use shredded chicken for meals
- Stuffed in a baked sweet potato
- Served with rice and Whole30 sriracha brussels sprouts with extra sriracha over the chicken
- Covered in easy paleo cherry barbecue sauce over pizza, wraps or salads!
- Make chicken salad
- Use the slow cooker shredded chicken over a salad like this cruciferous crunch salad with lemon tahini dressing or fall quinoa bowl with maple tahini dressing!
- Mixed with taco seasoning and used in a burrito bowl with Mexican Cauliflower Rice
- Make dairy free buffalo chicken dip
Substitutions and recommendations:
The recipe below is just a template. There are many substitutions that can be made that result in an equally delicious end product!
- If you don’t have a lemon, you could substitute a splash of apple cider vinegar for the lemon.
- Fresh thyme can be substituted with dried thyme (1 tsp) or whatever fresh or dried herbs you have on hand. Italian seasoning works well as does a sprinkle of dried parsley.
- I often make this recipe with just plain water. The vegetable stock adds to the flavor, but you could even play around with only adding 1 cup at a time instead of 2 cups if you are trying to save money. You could freeze the rest of the stock in 1/4 or 1/2 cup servings to use later in the week/month.
- You can use turkey breast instead of chicken breast or even boneless skinless chicken thighs.
Slow cooker shredded chicken is absolutely perfect for meal prep! If you love slow cooker recipes be sure to check out this Slow Cooker Turkey Meatball Recipe.
If you want more ideas on how to use Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken throughout the week:
Slow cooker shredded chicken
Guided Recipe Video
- Add all the ingredients to the slow cooker. Cook on low for 8-10 hours or on high for 6 hours.
- After cooking, remove with 2 forks and shred (or cube). Refrigerate leftovers for use in lunch and dinner recipes!
What about you?
- What would you use this shredded chicken to make?
- Do you use your slow cooker for meal prep?