This hummus wrap are exactly what I crave during lazy summer afternoons. For me, summertime food is suppose to be easy to make, filling but not heavy, and it’s always an bonus if its green. 🙂 Healthy hummus wrap recipe is vegan, low fat, and gluten free.
When I think of summer food, I think of food that I am able to quickly make and enjoy so I can get back to the pool! I also really love the romantic idea of going for a picnic, or packing a dinner and taking it by the lake or ocean to watch the sunset. Naturally you want finger foods for these kind of adventures, and these wraps would be perfect.
I naturally gravitate towards all things green, so using collard greens as the wrap is one of my favorite food hijacks. The wraps are super healthy they’re green (duh), and they are a great way to add more veggies to my day. Collard greens are packed with fiber, and are pretty filling on their own.
This wrap is packed with protein and really good quality carbs in the form of quinoa, hummus, and lentils. There are healthy fats from the avocado and added crunch from bell pepper. I had some extra beets left over, and really beets are good with everything, so I added those on top as well! This is really the culmination of all my favorite veggies on a wrap.
Using collards as a wrap is pretty simple. You will notice that the leaves have a huge stem down the center, which can easily be remove with a paring knife. I like the stack a smaller leaf and I bigger leaf on top of each other, using the smaller leaf cover that opening of the bigger leaf once the stem is removed. I use a little bit of hummus to keep everything stuck together.
Hummus Wrap Recipe Tips
Here’s a tip! Use the hummus as the glue! Add a little bit of hummus on the back of the small leaf, and it will hold it in place when you are wrapping everything up. Now add more hummus to the center of the wrap, then add the things that will likely crumble away like the quinoa and lentils on this wrap. Then add the rest of the ingredients on top of the lentils and quinoa and you are ready to roll… no really just roll it up.
Fold in the sides first and then take the bottom of the wrapper up to the top keeping the sides pulled in and then pull the top of the wrap back towards the center, trying to make the filling as tight as you can. Once you feel like the feeling is as tight as possible, continue to roll it up. I like to cheat a little bit and use toothpicks to keep everything in its place and I encourage you to do the same. Just don’t forget to tell your guests about them it’s not the best way to start a meal.
If you love collard green wraps you need to check out these Egg White Collard Green Wraps.
- 2 collard green leaves 1 big and 1 small, large part of stem removed
- 2 tbs. hummus
- 2 tbs. cooked quinoa
- 5-6 slices cucumber
- 1/4 avocado sliced
- 4-5 slices bell pepper
- 1 small beet sliced thin
- Remove the large part of the stem running through the leaves.
- Add a small amount of hummus to the back of the small leave and place it over the open space from where you removed the stem of the large leaf, so you have a place to add the ingredients.
- Add the remaining hummus to the center of the leaves. Add the quinoa, lentils to the hummus.
- Add the cucumber, avocado, beets and bell pepper on top of the quinoa and lentils.
- Wrap up the ingredients and enjoy. You may want to add a toothpick to secure the wrap, especially if you are travelling with them!
What about you?
- What’s your favorite summer time food?
- Do you ever you collard greens as a wrap?
- What is your go to picnic item?