Creamy, dreamy, spicy guacamole just got a make over with the addition of fava beans! I guarantee no one will know the difference and this version packs protein, fiber, and staying power! Trying to stick to your resolutions while still enjoying the game with friends? Bring this to the party! Meatless Monday taco night just got a little more protein, and still all the flavor with this fava bean avocado guacamole!
We were challenged to make a “lighter” recipe, recognizing that many people are starting to pay attention to their waistlines after the holiday
cookie food extravaganza. I immediately thought of guacamole, as I know it’s play-off season, and guacamole is kind of my weakness at parties. I go into this whole “oh it’s avocados and it’s green… automatically healthy” right? Haha yeah and then my jeans don’t fit the next day. Yeah lets not go there!
Guacamole was one of the first things I learned how to make. I love the flavors and think fresh is certainly best. My aunt would buy the spice packs from the grocery store, and I just remember thinking, why the heck do you need all that to make guacamole? When I have them make it table side at a restaurant, they don’t add a secret spice packet with white junk filler. Plus the stuff in the packet is a bit salty to me as well. I promise once you make guacamole yourself, you won’t want to rely on a spice packet either!
I’ve come to find out that guacamole is one of those dips that you can never make enough of. It’s usually the first thing gone at any of the gatherings I attend. I normally hate that I can’t make guacamole to far in advance, as the avocado tends to get brown and watery. What I’ve found is that adding fava beans and lime juice to this guacamole lets you easily make this a full day in advance, no problems. So yes, now you don’t have to worry about that when you volunteer to bring a dish to the party. And trust me once you figure out how easy this is to make, you will always volunteer to bring it; because it’s so yummy and super easy. PS, it’s also really hard to mess up 🙂
Doubt me when I say that? This guacamole has only 10 ingredients and they are all something you probably have on hand (except maybe the fava beans!) . Never heard of fava beans? They are an Italian bean that I buy frozen. All you have to do is cook them through 2-3 minutes in the microwave and let cool before pureeing them with the avocado for this guacamole. Pretty easy right? I buy mine from Trader Joe’s, they have already been shelled and I didn’t bother peeling them since they were going into the food processor. Heads up though, if you decide you want to make the leftover fava beans into something else, you will likely have to peel the white skin from the green fava beans.
Fava Bean and Avocado Guacamole
- 1 cup frozen cooked and cooled fava beans (microwave 2-3 minutes or steam 5-6 on stove)
- 2 avocados
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tbs. red onion rough chopped
- 1/2 jalapeno chopped
- 2 juice of limes
- 2 tbs. chopped cilantro
- 1/2 tsp. seasoned salt
- pinch red pepper
- 10 grape tomatoes chopped
- 1 tbs. finely minced red onion
- In a food processor, add fava beans, 1 1/2 of the avocado meat, garlic, red onion, jalapeno, lime juice and season salt. Puree until smooth, making sure to scrape the bowl a few times.
- Add cilantro, and pulse a few times until combined.
- Place mixture into a bowl.
- Add tomato, minced red onion and the remaining avocado, cubed.
- Stir until combined. Taste for seasoning. Add pinch of red pepper to taste.
What about you?
- Do you have a lightened dish that you volunteer to make for parties?
- Do you have a dish that you wish you could lighten so you could enjoy it more often?
- What is your favorite dip to bring to parties?