Mocha Quinoa energy bites are the perfect no bake sweet treat that double as a perfect post workout snack.
The base for this recipe is a bit unexpected, I used cooked quinoa instead of oats, which adds protein and healthy carbs. These quinoa protein balls are easy to make and don’t require any baking!
Why you will love this recipe
- These quinoa protein balls are the perfect afternoon snack! So easy to make and super filling, these will help you get through that 3pm slump.
- Great for grab and go snacking! You can make these early in the week for meal prep and grab 1 or 2 anytime you need a pick-me-up.
- Perfect for post workout! Get in lots of fiber and protein with these energy bites. The quinoa adds so much fiber to these energy bites.
- Naturally gluten free, dairy free and vegan! Modify the recipe to be more kid friendly by using chocolate or vanilla protein powder.
- Cooked Quinoa
- Dairy free milk
- Cacao powder (or cocoa powder)
- Coconut butter or nut butter of choices (almond, cashew, peanut butter or sunflower seed butter)
- Unsweetened applesauce
- Vegan protein powder
- Espresso powder
- Hemp hearts (optional)
- Cacao nibs (optional)
Combine the cooked quinoa, dairy free milk, cacao powder, applesauce, protein powder, espresso powder, hemp hearts (optional) and cacao nibs (optional) in a large bowl. Mix well.
Drizzle in the melted coconut butter (or nut butter of choice), stirring well to fully incorporate.
Refridgerate at least 1 hour.
Scoop out the mixture into 1 tablespoon sized balls. Roll with your hand to make the perfect shape.
Drizzle with additional coconut butter (optional) or melted chocolate (optional).
- These quinoa protein bites are best if kept refrigerated, especially if you add the coconut butter drizzle on top.
- Use a tablespoon to measure out the batter to ensure you have similar size balls. However you will find that for the best presentation, you will want to roll the balls with your hands. If you find the batter sticks to your hands, wet your hands slightly before rolling.
- Allow these quinoa energy balls to set in the fridge 15-20 minutes after rolling to help them fully set up. If you add coconut butter drizzle or chocolate drizzle, you can even set them up in the freezer.
What is the best protein to use
Quinoa is packed with protein. Did you know that quinoa is a seed, not a grain and it has all 9 essential proteins in it? That being said, to add more protein to this recipe, you can add a serving of your favorite protein powder.
I love Nuzest protein, but you can use whatever your favorite protein is. If you don’t want to add protein powder, you will want to use 1/3 cup of oat flour or gluten free flour of choice plus 2-3 tablespoons coconut sugar or brown sugar.
Other flavor combos you can use
These mocha energy bites use cacao powder + espresso powder to make that mocha flavor. You can add these mix-ins to the cacao + espresso powder or choose to omit the espresso to make them chocolate protein bites. Here are some other flavor combinations you can try:
- Chopped pecans, walnuts or cashews
- Chopped dried cherries
- Freeze dried strawberries, raspberries or bananas, chopped
- Mini chocolate chips
More quinoa recipes to try
Quinoa is one of my favorite grains to cook in big batches! Did you know you can cook a large batch in the instant pot? It holds up so well in the fridge and it’s super versatile! You can use it in your breakfast, lunch and dinners throughout the week!
- Quinoa Breakfast Bowls
- Out of this world Quinoa Coconut Banana Muffins
- Quinoa Pumpkin Salad
- Sweet Potato Quinoa Bowls
Mocha Quinoa Energy Bites
- 1/2 cup cooked quinoa
- 1/2 cup dairy free milk
- 2 tbsp. cacao powder or unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp. coconut butter - or nut butter or peanut butter
- 1 tbsp. unsweetened applesauce
- 1 serving Nuzest protein powder - or 1/3 cup oat flour
- 1/2 tbsp. espresso powder
- 2 tbsp., hemp hearts - optional
- 2 tbsp. cacao nibs - optional
- In a glass bowl combine all the ingredients, saving the coconut butter for last.
- Stir in coconut butter and refrigerate at least 1 hour.
- Scoop out in tablespoon sized bites and roll into a ball.
- Optional: Drizzle with more coconut butter or melted chocolate chips, freeze15-20 minutes. Store in the fridge after topping has set.
- Crushed freeze dried strawberries or raspberries
- Crushed freeze dried bananas
- Mini chocolate chips