This simple vegetable eggplant pizza will satisfy all your pizza cravings and more! These low carb, gluten free, grain free pizzas are easy to make and a great way to get more vegetables into your diet! You can easily customize these eggplant pizzas for whatever your craving – veggies, pepperoni, margarita, you name it!
One of my favorite indulgences in the world is pizza. Perfectly melted cheese with really good marinara and all the veggies (remember I’ve been mostly vegetarian for the past 17 years – veggie pizza is my jam). Oh the smell alone gets me salivating. Well I was hoping to cure my craving by making something a little more figure friendly. Plus with Dave’s gluten allergy/intolerance, going out for pizza is really not an option.
The last time Dave and I went out for pizza, he was sick for at least a week. Even though we ordered gluten free pizza, I’m guessing the dough was cross contaminated. This was a very eye-opening experience for both of us. People that don’t believe in gluten allergies and gluten sensitivity, I’m telling you it’s a real thing. I have never in my life seen someone go from healthy to can’t find the energy to walk up the stairs so quickly in my life. So now we try to limit our eating out. It’s been saving us money (which is a plus) and it’s also given me the chance to experiment a little more with food. And Dave has found a few gluten free frozen pizzas that he loves and don’t cause him any reactions, so he’s a happy boy again. Because let’s be honest, he will only eat a pizza made of vegetables so many times before he revolts!
GET 10 OF MY ALL TIME GREATEST RECIPES
IN THIS FREE EBOOK
My usual go to of cauliflower crust or zucchini crust pizzas sounded like too much work for me the other day. And I had a lonely eggplant just hoping to be turned into something magnificent. Well pizza is pretty magnificent. And this simple vegetable eggplant pizza quite honestly blew my mind. It was so much better than I expected and I was really upset when I ate the last of it yesterday. I think eggplant will start being part of my weekly grocery list just so I can make this eggplant pizza more often!
For all of you that have been looking for a low carb way to enjoy pizza but haven’t had much success with making cauliflower pizza, you absolutely must try this eggplant pizza out! It’s super simple and I was able to pick up the little mini pizzas and eat them just like pizza, which made me a happy girl!
Eggplant Pizza Recipe Tips
So what made this eggplant pizza so amazing. Well first I took the time to sweat out the bitter taste from the eggplant. Sounds complicated, but it’s not. You simply slice the eggplant, sprinkle salt over it and let it sit over a rack to allow the excess moisture to sweat out. With this moisture comes some of the bitter taste you might be used to with eggplant. After about 30 minutes, I just took a clean dish towel (or you could use paper towels) and squeezed gently on both sides of the eggplant. This helps remove the salt and also helps squeeze out any additional moisture. This simple step really helps the eggplant a long way, and I highly recommend doing this if you have time.
The second way I made sure that this eggplant would be out of this world amazing, I added a little bit of balsamic vinegar to each eggplant slice right before roasting! It was a last minute decision and I really think it’s what made this eggplant pizza so irresistible. I used about 2 tbs. total on the eggplant. You have to remember that eggplants are like sponges, so you need to pour just a little bit of balsamic over each eggplant slice, you can’t just pour it on and expect to be able to stir it up if that makes sense. Be sure to line your baking sheet with parchment paper sprayed with nonstick spray (I used coconut oil) as well, to help ensure that the eggplant doesn’t stick.
Roast the eggplant for about 30 minutes. then top it with marinara, cheese, veggies and bake again for about 10 minutes to get everything melty and perfect. Then just serve with your favorite salad and viola, dinner is ready!
If you’re looking for more amazing pizza dishes without all that bread, be sure to try these Sweet Potato Pizza Bites!
Simple Vegetable Eggplant Pizza
- Slice the eggplant into about 1/2 inch thick disks.
- Place the eggplant slices over a wire cooling rack and baking sheet and sprinkle with salt. on both sides of the eggplant. Let sweat for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Use a clean dish towel or paper towels and carefully squeeze out the excess water from both sides of the eggplant slices by pressing on the top and the bottom at the same time. This also helps remove the salt.
- Place parchment paper on a baking sheet and spray with non-stick spray.
- Place the eggplant slices that have been pressed on the parchment paper.
- Divide 2 tbs. of balsamic vinegar evenly between the eggplant slices.
- Roast for 30 minutes at 400F.
- While the eggplant is roasting, make the 7 minute marinara if you are making sauce.
- Remove the eggplant from the oven and top with the marinara. Add shredded cheese and sliced veggies. Sprinkle the veggies with a pinch of salt and the Italian seasoning.
- Bake at 400F for 10 minutes or until cheese is melted and veggies are slightly soft.
- Serve hot with your favorite salad!
SHOP MY FAVORITE FAST MEAL MUST-HAVES
Use the buttons below to buy my must-have fast meal creation basics and visit my Amazon Shop!
What about you?
- What are your favorite pizza toppings?
- Have you ever made a low carb pizza before? Thoughts?