Whether it's hot or cold, there is nothing like sitting down to a big bowl of Homemade Chunky Monkey Ice Cream to end the day! This homemade chunky monkey ice cream is vegan, dairy free and even has a paleo option! And it's so easy and you are going to love the ingredient list!
Why you'll love this Chunky Monkey Ice Cream
I remember the first time I made homemade ice cream. It was the biggest deal. And it took forever. And it was gone so quickly. It was the best thing and the worst thing ever all at once. But this homemade chunky monkey ice cream is different. It's ready in minutes (with the proper planning) and you don't have to worry about running out, because it's so easy to make you can just make more tomorrow or whenever you get your next craving.
It's no surprise that I love ice cream (doesn't everyone). I used to buy the reduced fat or no sugar added ice cream and eat 2-3 giant bowls, congratulating myself for making the “better” choice. Honestly, I was never really satisfied by the reduced fat versions, and probably always ate more calories than if I had just had a regular serving of the full fat stuff. These were all lessons I had to learn on my health journey. Now I try to stay away from dairy, so I have had to get creative when I have an ice cream craving, although there are some great dairy free options on the market now.
GET 10 OF MY ALL TIME GREATEST RECIPES
IN THIS FREE EBOOK
What do you need to make homemade chunky monkey ice cream?
- Frozen bananas
- Protein powder (vegan or collagen peptides)
- Dairy free milk
- Nut butter (almond butter, peanut butter, sunflower seed butter)
- Chopped walnuts
- Chocolate chunks
- Food processor
How to make homemade ice cream from frozen bananas
- Be sure to freeze your bananas coins to make them easier to blend up. To do this just cut your banana into coins and freeze on a flat surface (I use a cookie sheet). Once frozen, you can store them in a zip lock bag or other freezer safe container.
- Add the frozen banana coins to the food processor with some dairy free milk and blend until smooth
- Add the protein powder and nut butter and blend again, you may need to add more milk at this point.
- Stir in the chopped walnuts and chocolate chunks and serve cold!
Can you freeze this chunky monkey ice cream for later?
Although you can freeze this for later, I don't recommend it. The dairy free milk tends to over harden making it difficult to eat! I would instead just plan on making this one serving at a time. This also helps with portion control?
If you don't have protein powder or don't want to use it, you don't have to include it. The ice cream will taste great, just be sure to reduce the dairy free milk you are using so it doesn't get watery.
If you cannot or do not have bananas, you could also make this recipe with whatever your favorite fruit is. You may need to add more nut butter to help with the consistency. Some of my favorite substitutions are frozen pineapple. frozen cherries or frozen mango!
For the chopped walnuts, you could also use chopped pecans, chopped peanuts or chopped almonds as a great substitution.
Homemade Chunky Monkey Ice Cream
- Peel the bananas, and cut into coins, about 1-2 inches each. Freeze in a zip lock bag.
- Once frozen, add the banana to a food processor and pulse to break up.
- Add 1/4 cup of dairy free milk and process with the banana until smooth.
- Add 1 scoop of vanilla protein powder and 1/4 cup of milk. For paleo version: add 1 scoop of collagen peptides, no additional milk is needed.
- Process on high until smooth.
- Stir in the chopped walnuts and chocolate. Serve immediately or freeze for 1-2 hours and serve.
SHOP MY FAVORITE FAST MEAL MUST-HAVES
Use the buttons below to buy my must-have fast meal basics and don't forget to visit my Amazon Shop!