Whether it’s hot or cold, there is nothing like sitting down to a big bowl of Homemade Chunky Monkey Ice Cream to end the day!
This homemade chunky monkey ice cream is vegan, dairy free and even has a paleo option! And it’s so easy and you are going to love the ingredient list!
Why you’ll love this recipe
- It’s ready in minutes (with the proper planning) and you don’t have to worry about running out, because it’s so easy to make you can just make more tomorrow or whenever you get your next craving.
- This chunky monkey ice cream is dairy free and just as good as regular ice cream without all the added chemicals you find in dairy free store bought.
- Nice cream is a much healthier choice with fewer calories and fat.
- High in protein to help keep you full longer.
- Frozen bananas
- Protein powder (vegan or collagen peptides)
- Dairy free milk
- Nut butter (almond butter, peanut butter, sunflower seed butter)
- Chopped walnuts
- Chocolate chunks
- Food processor
How to make homemade chunky monkey ice cream
- Be sure to freeze your bananas coins to make them easier to blend up. To do this just cut your banana into coins and freeze on a flat surface (I use a cookie sheet with parchment paper). Once frozen, you can store them in a zip lock bag or other freezer safe container.
- Add the frozen banana coins to the food processor with some dairy free milk and blend until smooth
- Add the protein powder and nut butter and blend again, you may need to add more milk at this point.
- Stir in the chopped walnuts and chocolate chunks and serve cold!
Can you freeze this chunky monkey ice cream for later?
Although you can freeze this for later, I don’t recommend it. The dairy free milk tends to over harden making it difficult to eat! I would instead just plan on making this one serving at a time. This also helps with portion control?
If you don’t have protein powder or don’t want to use it, you don’t have to include it. The ice cream will taste great, just be sure to reduce the dairy free milk you are using so it doesn’t get watery.
If you cannot or do not have bananas, you could also make this recipe with whatever your favorite fruit is. You may need to add more nut butter to help with the consistency. Some of my favorite substitutions are frozen pineapple. frozen cherries or frozen mango!
For the chopped walnuts, you could also use chopped pecans, chopped peanuts or chopped almonds as a great substitution.
Homemade Chunky Monkey Ice Cream
Guided Recipe Video
- Peel the bananas, and cut into coins, about 1-2 inches each. Freeze in a zip lock bag.
- Once frozen, add the banana to a food processor and pulse to break up.
- Add 1/4 cup of dairy free milk and process with the banana until smooth.
- Add 1 scoop of vanilla protein powder and 1/4 cup of milk. For paleo version: add 1 scoop of collagen peptides, no additional milk is needed.
- Process on high until smooth.
- Stir in the chopped walnuts and chocolate. Serve immediately or freeze for 1-2 hours and serve.
IN THIS FREE EBOOK