This simple lemon artichoke recipe is the perfect side dish for busy nights! Made with frozen artichoke hearts, this dish is ready in under 10 minutes and is so easy to make! Vegan, gluten free, grain free, paleo, Whole30 complaint.
Why this recipe works:
- Ready in 10 minutes, so perfect for quick and healthy side dish for dinner
- These artichoke hearts can easily be added to pasta, pizza, or served with your favorite protein
- This recipe only has 5 ingredients and is vegan, paleo and Whole30 friendly!
How to make artichoke hearts:
- Start by defrosting frozen artichoke hearts in the fridge.
- Preheat a cast iron skillet or stainless steel pan over medium heat. Spray with non-stick spray and add the artichoke hearts.
- Once the artichoke hearts start to get golden brown, add lemon juice, garlic powder, salt and some good quality olive oil. Top with fresh parsley!
What to serve these lemon artichoke hearts with:
If you are going to make a big batch of these for a party or get together, I highly recommend serving them with some simple dairy free arugula cashew pesto to take them up a notch! Pesto and these healthy artichoke hearts are a match made in heaven!
This recipe calls for using frozen artichoke hearts. The frozen artichoke hearts are so much easier than buying fresh artichokes from scratch.
However, if you don’t have frozen artichoke hearts on hand, you can also use canned artichoke hearts in water. You will want to use at least 2 cans (if not 3) of artichoke hearts in water, cut in half or into quarters.
Why you should include artichokes in your diet
- Artichokes boost the liver’s ability to produce bile. Bile is important for digestion and the break down of fats from your food. Without bile, you will have trouble digesting and assimilating fat and fat-soluble vitamins from your food into your cells and tissues.
- Artichoke hearts are a great source of prebiotic fiber. Prebiotic fiber is the food that feeds the probiotics in your system. Eating foods rich in prebiotics helps keep your digestion running smoothly!
- Artichokes are an excellent source of Vitamin C a powerful antioxidant that can help neutralize free radicals. Artichokes are a better source of Vitamin C than oranges!
If you love artichokes, you have to try these recipes:
- Artichoke Pesto Pasta
- Spinach Artichoke Dip
- Paleo Artichoke Hummus
- Artichoke Pesto Hummus
- Jalapeno Cilantro Hummus
Lemon Artichoke Recipe
- Heat a cast iron skillet over medium heat until hot. Add 1 tbsp olive oil and the frozen artichoke hearts. Cover and cook 5-6 minutes over medium heat.
- Once the artichokes are defrosted, remove the lid and add the remaining tablespoon of olive oil, lemon juice, salt and garlic powder. Cook 2-3 minutes.
- Before serving stir in the chopped Italian parsley and serve hot.
Update Notes: This recipe was originally posted in April of 2018, but was published again in May of 2019 to include step by step directions and a video.