5 minute pea pesto has everything you love about traditional pesto but is slightly sweet and so easy to make! This healthy recipe is vegan, dairy free, gluten free, and the perfect addition to any meal! This pesto is the perfect topping for chicken, salmon, pasta, zucchini noodles, roasted veggies or chickpeas for a super flavorful meal!
5 Minute Pesto
I’ve been making this pea pesto for years! The sweet peas add a fantastic sweetness to the pesto which makes it even better than traditional pesto if you ask me!
The addition of peas to the pesto also makes this pesto much thicker than traditional pesto recipes! If you prefer a thinner consistency you may have to thin this recipe out with some water. If you do that just be sure to stir it well after storing it in the fridge!
And added bonus! Peas are high in protein and fiber so this pea pesto is super filling as well! In fact, each serving of this pesto is about 8 grams of protein!
What ingredients do you need to make 5 minute pea pesto:
- Organic frozen peas, defrosted
- Bunch of organic basil
- Olive oil
- Garlic cloves (or garlic powder)
- Hemp hearts (or sunflower seeds)
- Lemon juice
You will also need a food processor to make this recipe in 5 minutes or less!
How to make homemade pea pesto:
Start by defrosting the peas (in the microwave or on the stove) just until they are tender, they don’t have to be hot.
After defrosting, add everything to the food processor and process on high for 2-3 minutes, stopping periodically to scrape down the sides as needed.
Hemp Hearts: If you do not have hemp hearts on hand (they are packed with protein and healthy Omega-3 fats) you can also use sunflower seeds, pine nuts or even pistachios (shelled) for this pea pesto recipe.
- If raw garlic is overpowering for you, use roasted garlic olive oil in place of the olive oil in this recipe and leave out the fresh garlic.
- You can also boil fresh garlic to help take the bitter bite out of it.
- Don’t allow the peas to get too hot on defrosting, or it will wilt the basil
Storing this pea pesto recipe:
Refrigerator: This super simple pea pesto recipe can be stored in a covered container for 5-7 days in the fridge.
Freezer: Stored in a freezer safe bag, this pea pesto should last 3-4 months in the freezer.
TIP: Store the pesto in individual servings (use a ice cube tray or a silicone candy tray) to portion out the pesto into individual servings. Once frozen you can add them all to a freezer bag and use the pesto as needed. Be sure to put a date on the bag for reference!
What to serve this pea pesto with:
- Great to use as a dip for snacking!
- Serve over pasta, zucchini noodles or low carb pasta
- Mix with canned salmon or tuna and served in a wrap or over salad greens
- Mix with shredded chicken, sundried tomatoes and cauliflower rice for a quick and easy meal
- As a topping for homemade pizza
- On scrambled eggs
- On sweet potato toast with smoked salmon and oven poached eggs
- Mixed in with cauliflower rice (or regular rice) for a flavorful side dish
- Mixed into homemade minestrone soup
If you love this recipe you should try:
- Arugula cashew pesto
- Paleo Artichoke Pesto Hummus
- Avocado Pesto Tuna Wraps
- Grilled shrimp with pesto
- Vegan Pesto Zucchini noodles
- Defrost the peas in the microwave or stove by cooking them just until they are no longer frozen. About 2 minutes in the microwave
- Place defrosted peas in the food processor (you don't even need to clean it out from making cauliflower rice). Add the basil, lemon juice, olive oil, water, hemp hearts, mince garlic and salt. Puree until smooth (you may need to scrape the sides a few times).