Single serve blueberry banana bread is perfect for breakfast, as a snack or even dessert! This gluten free, vegan blueberry banana bread is baked quickly in the oven and only requires 30 minutes from start to finish!
Why this recipe works
- Blueberries add a new dimension to this healthy banana bread recipe.
- This recipe for single serve banana bread is packed with protein (20 grams per serving), making it the perfect post workout snack or healthy breakfast!
- Because this is a single serve recipe, it automatically helps keep portions in check! And this recipe is low-fat, gluten-free vegan, super easy to make!
- Make extra servings and store them in the fridge for 3 days! Perfect for meal prep!
- This recipe can be mixed by hand in a big bowl with a large spoon, no fancy equipment required! The hardest part of this recipe is not eating the batter while you are mixing it up!
How to make Single Serve Blueberry Banana Bread
- Step 1: Mix together the ground flax with water and stir well. Let sit 5 minutes to thicken.
- Step 2: Mash up the bananas in a large bowl with a fork
- Step 3: Add the protein powder, cashew or almond flour, cinnamon, flax egg and baking powder to the mashed bananas.
- Step 4: Mix the batter well until all the ingredients (except the blueberries) are fully combined.
- Step 5: Add the blueberries to the batter
- Step 6: Mix the blueberries in carefully
- Step 7: Spray your ramekins or single serve baking dishes with non-stick spray. Divide the batter between evenly and spread it out so it will cook through.
- Step 8: Bake at 375F for 20-25 minutes.
GET 10 OF MY ALL TIME GREATEST RECIPES
IN THIS FREE EBOOK
Substitutions and FAQ's
How to add protein to banana bread
Protein is very satisfying and can help you feel satisfied longer. It's also important to include enough protein in your diet, especially if you are weight training or trying to build lean body mass.
To add protein to this recipe, I use a vegan protein powder. The protein powder replaces flour in a traditional recipe and bakes up great! The protein powder I love and recommend is Nuzest Pea Protein (affiliate). You can get 15% off your order by using the code below:
If you don't want to use a vegan protein powder, you will need more flour. Each scoop of vegan protein is equal to about 1/3 cup of gluten free flour. Cashew flour, almond flour or your favorite gluten free flour will work for this!
What are the best bananas for baking
The best bananas for baking are bananas that have a lot of brown spots and are soft to the touch when you press down on the skin. The darker the skin gets, the more ripe the banana is inside. The riper the banana, the sweeter the banana bread.
TIP: If you have a bunch of bananas that are all getting very ripe, peel the bananas and freeze them for later use. You just have to defrost the banana in the microwave or on the counter and you can use it in any recipe that calls for a fresh banana. Another great use for frozen bananas is smoothies (like this strawberry banana green smoothie).
What if I don't have fresh blueberries?
If you don't have fresh blueberries, you can also use frozen blueberries. Just know that when you mix in frozen blueberries, it might turn the batter purple depending on how defrosted they are when you stir them in.
If you don't like blueberries, you can substitute them for fresh or frozen:
How to customize single serve banana bread:
Add your favorite flavor addition!
- Chopped nuts (walnuts, pecans, pistachios, peanuts)
- Coconut flakes (toasted or regular)
- Lemon zest or orange zest
- Dried fruit (apricots, raisins, cranberries)
- Chocolate chips
What if I don't have cashew flour or almond flour?
You can substitute oat flour or your favorite gluten free flour!
What is the best equipment for baking single serve desserts?
- Glass ramekins (affiliate link) – they are affordable and often come with a very tight fitting lid so these are great if you are making a big batch!
- Ceramic ramekins (affiliate link) – I always have these on hand and they are the perfect size.
- Ceramic mini casserole dishes (affiliate link) – these are really fun for serving to guests!
How long will single serve blueberry banana bread last in the fridge?
Store the banana bread in the fridge for up to 3 days. This is a great recipe for meal prep since you can make 2-3 servings at once and have them on hand for a few days of the week.
If you want more single serve protein recipes, you should try:
- Single Serve Brownies
- Chocolate Mug Cake
- Strawberry Brownies
- Single Serve Chocolate Peanut Butter Brownies
- Single Serve Mint Chocolate Brownies
Single Serve Blueberry Banana Bread
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- In a large bowl make flax egg by combining 1 tbs. ground flax seed with 3 tbs. water. Let sit 2-3 minutes until thickened.
- Mash bananas the large bowl. Add protein powder and combine, Add cinnamon and cashew meal. Mix to combine
- Add protein powder, cinnamon, cashew meal (or almond flour) and baking powder to the banana and flax mixture. Mix well to combine
- Stir in blueberries (frozen is fine).
- Spray 2 single serve ramekin with nonstick spray. Divide the batter between ramekins.
- Bake at 375 for 20-25 minutes.
- Chopped nuts
- Dried fruit (raisins, apricots, cranberries)
- Chocolate Chips
- Coconut flakes (toasted or regular)
SHOP MY FAVORITE FAST MEAL MUST-HAVES
Use the buttons below to buy my must-have fast meal creation basics and visit my Amazon Shop!
Update Notes: This recipe was originally posted in March of 2015, but was published again in June of 2019 to include step by step directions, recipe notes and new photos.