Sunbutter cookies are soft, chewy and the perfect nut-free alternative for peanut butter cookies! If you love peanut butter cookies, you will love these! These vegan sunbutter cookies packed with protein, gluten free and only require one bowl and a spoon to make.
Why this recipe works:
- Sunflower butter cookies are so simple to make, you don't even need a mixer. These cookies are just like peanut butter cookies but made with sunflower seed butter instead.
- This recipe is free of most of the common allergens. It’s gluten free, grain free, egg free, nut free, coconut free and refined sugar free.
- Sunbutter cookies are also great for kids to bring to school since they are nut-free. They are also the perfect (holiday) gift.
- Take them up a notch by adding a chocolate kiss or chocolate chips.
- These cookies are easy to make and great to make ahead of time! Make these cookies in batches during the Holiday season along with my Chocolate Chip cookies for delicious healthy treat that is kid-approved!
Sunbutter vs Peanut Butter
- Sunflower seed butter is allergy friendly (and safe to take into schools).
- Sunbutter and peanut butter have the same protein per serving and sunflower seed butter has more vitamin E than peanut butter and is lower in saturated fat.
- Sunflower seed butter is also higher in B-6, Copper, Magnesium, Manganese and Zinc when compared with peanut butter.
Note: Be sure to check the label on for extra additives such as sugar, salt and palm oil.
Fun Fact: SunButter naturally contains Chlorophyll within its seeds, and when mixed with baking soda, there is a chemical reaction that can turn the cookies green.
How to Bake Vegan Sunbutter cookies:
Step 1: Combine SunButter and unsweetened applesauce in a large mixing bowl. Mix together
Step 2: Add the maple syrup and protein powder. Mix until fully combined
Step 3: Add the dairy free milk, cassava flour, vanilla extract and baking powder. Mix well to incorporate the baking powder throughout.
GET 10 OF MY ALL TIME GREATEST RECIPES
IN THIS FREE EBOOK
Step 4: Using a tablespoon (or regular spoon), spoon out about 1/2-1 tbsp of batter onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Roll into a ball and flatten with your fingers or palm of your hand
Step 5: Use a fork and create the hatch like markings by pressing it into the cookies and then turning it 90 degrees and pressing again.
Step 5: Bake at 350F for 15 minutes.
Step 6: Let these cookies cool completely.
Mix-ins you may love for this recipe:
- Dairy-free chocolate chips
- Freeze dried raspberries, strawberries or bananas
- Coconut flakes
Favorite toppings for sunbutter cookies:
- Melted chocolate
- Raspberry or Strawberry Jam
Can these cookies be stored on the counter?
These cookies are best stored in the fridge, not the counter. Store these protein sunbutter cookies in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Can you place cookie dough in the fridge before baking?
You can make the dough ahead and store the batter in the fridge until ready to use, up to 2 day before baking.
Can you freeze sunbutter cookie dough?
Yes, pre-roll the dough into individual cookies and place on a wax paper lined backing sheet before freezing. Once frozen, you can take them off the wax paper sheet and into a freezer-safe bag.
When you want to bake the cookies, you can place directly into oven at 350F and bake for 17 minutes.
Can you eat this cookie dough raw?
Since these vegan sunbutter cookies don’t have eggs, the cookie dough is safe to eat raw.
- Sunbutter: If you can't have Sunbutter you can use peanut butter, almond butter or cashew butter in this recipe. Note: using peanut butter, almond butter or cashew butter will not be allergy friendly.
- Protein powder: Can use ⅔ cups of your favorite gluten free flour in place of protein powder.
- Cassava flour: Cassava is a grain free, gluten free flour. If you don’t have cassava flour, you can use your favorite gluten free flour.
If you like this recipe you should try:
- Dairy-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Paleo Gingerbread Cookies
- Vegan Triple Chocolate Protein Cookies
- Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
Kitchen essentials for this recipe:
Vegan Sunbutter Cookies (Gluten Free Grain Free)
- Preheat the oven to 350F
- Mix together the sunbutter and apple sauce in a large bowl. Combine well.
- Add the maple syrup and protein powder. Mix until fully combined
- Add the dairy free milk, cassava flour, vanilla extract and baking powder. Mix well. to incorporate the baking powder throughout
- Using a spoon, spoon out about 1/2-1 tbsp of batter onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Flatten with the palm of your hand (you may want to wet lightly to make sure the batter doesn't stick to your palm). Use a fork and create the hatch like markings by pressing it into the cookies and then turning it 90 degrees and pressing again.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 350F
- Allow to cool before serving.
SHOP MY FAVORITE FAST MEAL MUST-HAVES
Use the buttons below to buy my must-have fast meal basics and don't forget to visit my Amazon Shop!
Update Notes: This recipe was originally posted in December of 2017, but was published again in December 2019 to include step by step directions, recipe notes and new photos.