Relax and get cozy with this super simple vegan protein hot chocolate! Ready in under 3 minutes with only 5 ingredients, this high(er) protein hot chocolate will keep you full and warm you up! All the flavors from your favorite hot chocolate, none of the gross ingredients! Gluten free, vegan, dairy free, no equipment required!
When I was a kid I would eat all the marshmallows from the top of hot chocolate, run back into the kitchen and add even more marshmallows and continue this until the marshmallows would stop melting (aka my hot chocolate got cold). I have a confession to make, I did this until a year or two ago. I’m not even going to pretend like it was the best thing in the world. But let’s be honest, nothing about this story screams “healthy” or “homemade”. I was using the packets of diet hot chocolate, and going through like a package a week of marshmallows. Let’s not talk about how much sugar this all was!
Fast forward to my favorite discovery. How thick and creamy using protein powder in my hot chocolate is. The protein powder adds enough sweetness that this doesn’t require any added sweeteners. I use a higher quality unsweetened cocoa powder and vanilla, to help give the hot chocolate more depth. This is actually a trick from the days when I would drink the less than ideal diet hot cocoa drinks, adding vanilla made them taste more chocolaty. Who knew? You could make this same hot chocolate with a cup of hot coffee instead of hot water and make a mocha out of this!
What do you need to make this simple protein hot chocolate recipe:
- dairy free milk (coconut milk, almond milk, flax milk, oat milk)
- protein powder (I love Nuzest (affiliate))
- cacao powder (or cocoa powder)
- vanilla extract
Stay warm this winter with this simple, healthy, vegan, no sugar added hot chocolate made just 5 ingredients!
What to serve this simple vegan protein hot chocolate with:
- Super simple protein packed chocolate mug cake
- Single serve brownies (gluten free)
- Vegan black bean brownies
- Chocolate Mini Gluten free Donuts
- Double chocolate banana protein energy bites
Want to see easy it is to make this simple protein hot chocolate recipe?
Check out the video below!
Warm up With this Simple Vegan Protein Hot Chocolate
- Combine the water and coconut milk. Microwave for 2 minutes until hot.
- Add the protein powder and stir well until all combined
- Add the cocoa powder and vanilla extract and still well until completely incorporated.
- Serve hot!