Ranch roasted chickpeas are the perfect healthy snack! So easy to make and packed full of flavor, these oven roasted chickpeas are vegan, gluten free and super inexpensive! The perfect afternoon snack or salad topping!
Why this recipe works?
- These chickpeas are a great way to satisfy a craving for salty, crunchy snack food! By roasting the chickpeas, the chickpeas get crispy and crunchy but are still super satisfying!
- The ranch seasoning makes these chickpeas extra indulgent! If you plan on sharing you should probably make double the recipe
- These ranch chickpeas are inexpensive and a great source of protein! Add them to salads like this cruciferous crunch salad or on soup like this roasted veggie bisque soup!
How do you make perfectly roasted chickpeas every time?
The trick to making the perfect roasted chickpea is to start the chickpeas in a hot oven (450F) for 25 minutes and then turning off the oven, leaving the chickpeas in the oven for an additional 15 minutes.
Let the chickpeas cool completely to get maximum crunch once you remove them from the oven!
How to make ranch roasted chickpeas?
- Step 1: Start by rinsing canned chickpeas well using a mesh strainer. Do your best to get rid of as much of the water after rinsing as possible. Add the chickpeas to a large bowl. Add the avocado oil and the spices
- Stir together the chickpeas, oil and spices until the chickpeas are well coated.
- Place a parchment paper liner or silicone liner on a rimmed baking sheet. Spray it lightly with non-stick spray (avocado oil). Add the coated chickpeas.
- Place the chickpeas in a preheated 450F oven for 25 minutes.
- Turn the oven off but don’t take out the chickpeas. Let sit for 15 minutes
- Allow to fully cool on the counter before storing or eating.
Tips on how to store roasted chickpeas
If you have ever made roasted chickpeas before, you know that they can get mushy overnight if you store them in a sealed container.
Instead allow the roasted chickpeas to sit in an open container for the first 24 hours before sealing. After this time, add a small square of paper towel to the top of the chickpeas before sealing the container to help absorb any extra moisture and keep the chickpeas crunchy.
FAQ’s and Substitutions
Do you need to peel the skin of the chickpeas to get them crunchy?
No! I’ve tried this recipe with the skin on and peeling the skin and I don’t notice any difference in the crunch. Also peeling the skin off of chickpeas is torture.
How can you spice up roasted chickpeas?
- Chipotle powder and smoked paprika to make them smoky and spicy
- Lime juice and cumin to make them more southwestern ranch
If you love roasted chickpeas and want to try them as a sweet treat, check out this pumpkin spice chickpea recipe!
What are some uses for ranch roasted chickpeas?
- Healthy snack (replace chips, pretzels, popcorn)
- Salad topper instead of croutons
- Add them to savory trail mix with cashews, almonds and pumpkin seeds
If you love these healthy snacks, you will also love these recipes:
Ranch Roasted Chickpeas
- Preheat the oven to 450F.
- While oven is preheating, drain and rinse the chickpeas. Add fresh water to the chickpeas and allow them to soak in fresh water for 2-3 minutes.
- Drain the fresh water.
- Add the chickpeas to a large bowl. Add the oil and the spices and stir well to coat.
- Add parchment paper to a baking sheet (with a rim) and spray with nonstick spray (I used avocado oil spray).
- Add the chickpeas to the pan, and place in the oven for 25 minutes to roast (450F).
- Turn off the oven and allow the chickpeas to sit in oven as it cools off, 15 minutes.
- Let the chickpeas cool completely on the counter before eating or storing.
Update Notes: This recipe was originally posted in January 2016, but was published again in May 2019 to include step by step directions, new photos and a video.