Super fudgy, intensely chocolatey, these are the best sweet potato protein brownies. These sweet potato brownies are so simple to make, you just need your blender and about 30 minutes in the oven. Vegan, gluten free, and so very delicious!
Why you will love this recipe:
- These brownies are dense, fudgy and super delicious! You are going to want to make these again and again!
- Protein sweet potato brownies are packed with flavor but will also help you feel full and satisfied with just 1 (or 2) after a workout or for an afternoon snack!
- Vegan and gluten free, these brownies are great to bring to parties or potlucks, they are insanely delicious and easy to make! Everyone will enjoy them (they don’t have to know there is protein powder in them).
Tips for making the best sweet potato brownies
- Coconut oil in this recipe is used to help create the fudgy texture. If you cannot use coconut oil, you will want to use some sort of fat in it’s place or the texture will be off. Other great choices include melted ghee or grass fed butter or you could use almond butter or tahini.
- This recipe is best with Japanese sweet potatoes, but regular sweet potatoes will do! You can usually find Japanese sweet potatoes at Whole Foods, Trader Joe’s and many other health food stores. They are purple on the outside and white on the inside.
Are sweet potatoes good for you?
Let’s chat sweet potatoes and why I think you should be eating more in your diet! Did you know that sweet potatoes are a great source of Vitamin A (carotene like in carrots which is what makes them orange) but also Vitamin C (for an immune system boost). Sweet potatoes are also a great source of dietary fiber. This is key to feeling full and satisfied from your meals. That’s an added bonus when you can get those benefits from your dessert!
Cooking sweet potatoes
- Microwave: You can cook sweet potatoes in the microwave in about 10 minutes. Start by washing the potatoes then pricking them with a fork. Place the sweet potatoes on a paper towel and cook for 10 minutes. Check doneness by cutting with a knife. Depending on how thick the sweet potatoes are, they could need 2-3 more minutes.
- Instant Pot: You can cook sweet potatoes whole in the instant pot, you don’t even have to prick them with a fork. To cook sweet potatoes, add the trivet to the bottom of the instant pot. Add 1 cup of water and stack the sweet potatoes on the trivet. Close the instant pot and cook for 15 minutes of high pressure. Let pressure naturally release.
- Stove: Peel the sweet potatoes and cut them into cubes. Add the sweet potatoes to a large pot and cover with clean water. Cover the pot and bring the water to a boil. Boil for 5-7 minutes. Check to see if fork tender (you can easily insert a fork with little resistance. Strain the water out and let the potatoes air dry for 4-5 minutes before using in the recipe.
IN THIS FREE EBOOK
Store these protein sweet potato brownies in a air tight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
If you love this recipe, you should try
- Single Serve Protein Brownies (with a microwave option)
- Single Serve Mint Chocolate Brownies
- Vegan Black Bean Brownies
- Sweet Potato Protein Donuts
Protein Sweet Potato Brownies
- 2 cups sweet potato, mashed
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 3/4 cup dairy free milk
- 2 scoop vegan chocolate protein powder - I used Vega Performance Protein
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/4 cup cacao powder
- 1 tbs coconut sugar - optional
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup dairy free chocolate chips - Enjoy Life Brand
- Preheat oven to 375F
- Remove the skins from cooked sweet potatoes. Add to blender with the rest of the ingredients, scraping down the sides as needed
- Spray a 8X8 or 6.5X10 pan with non-stick spray
- Add the sweet potato mixture to the pan
- Bake at 375F for 35 minutes
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool. Best when cooled in the fridge overnight.