These Quinoa Coconut Banana Muffins will seriously take over as your family's favorite muffin recipe, they are out of this world good! And trust me, no one will even be able to tell they are healthy, it can be your dirty little secret. They are so sweet, they have the perfect texture, they are packed with protein, naturally sweetened, full of fiber, vegan, gluten free, and will seriously have your kids begging for more! You only need one bowl and some silicone muffin liners to make the most incredible muffins EVER!
I'm not even being dramatic. Dave is my resident kid :) He is
pretty brutally honest when I have a dud recipe. He will eat it but not with any excitement and I can usually tell if it's not his favorite because it lasts longer than a day or two in the fridge. I swear he had these for breakfast, snack, and dessert the first day I made them! That's when you know the recipe is good. He ate them so fast I had to make a second batch just to take pictures. And they turned out perfectly again!
I made these quinoa banana muffins with some leftover quinoa that I had made during my weekly meal prep but didn't use it. I have been trying to get more protein packed snacks and breakfast ideas for the ladies in my Back to Basics Nutrition course, I decided I would play around with quinoa in muffins. Oh man, I'm so glad I did. The quinoa added a ton of volume, protein, fiber and other vitamins and minerals and gave the muffins the best texture ever!
GET 10 OF MY ALL TIME GREATEST RECIPES
IN THIS FREE EBOOK
Why you'll love these Quinoa Coconut Banana Muffins
I've talked about this before but when I was in HR, we would have weekly meetings with all the ladies in the department, and our boss would often bring in these giant quinoa banana muffins (literally the size of a softball) for us to all eat during the meeting. Most of the ladies were on diets of some sort, but it never failed, almost everyone in the room would eat a muffin before the meeting was over. And it was always the same story, people would then drop their healthy lunch plans in favor of going out, stop by the candy jar more often that day and pretty much blow their diets out of the water because they already “cheated” on their diets. BLEH, I hate this mentality.
This is likely because their first meal of the day was a surge of sugar! That is really no way to treat your body! Instead, I am offering you an alternative! Just as sweet, seriously just as good (probably better because they are homemade) and packed with all sorts of healthy ingredients like chia seeds, banana, quinoa, protein powder and coconut flour. These muffins won't spike your sugar, are full of protein which helps regulate your food intake naturally and packed with fiber so you digest them slowly!
Coconut Banana Muffins Recipe Tips
You will want to be sure to stock your pantry with all these fun ingredients, I promise you will find a million ways to use them! The added fun to these muffins is in the form of unsweetened shredded coconut flakes, cacao nibs and sunflower seeds. You could substitute chopped pecans, walnuts or peanuts for the sunflower seeds, but I have to keep these allergy friendly for Dave, so sunflower seeds it is! I love to top my green smoothies and chia bowls with cacao nibs as well as add them to my pancakes. Check out my chocolate crunch protein pancakes for a fun way to add them to your Saturday breakfast!
I used silicone muffin liners. I bought mine at Walmart a while ago and seriously they are the best. I use them for muffins, chocolate pecan coconut cups, crustless quiche and so many other fun recipes. Nothing ever sticks, they are easy to clean and you don't waste a ton of money always buying new muffin liners. Seriously get 2-3 packs and never buy the paper liners again!
Out of this World Quinoa Coconut Banana Muffins
- 2 bananas - mashed
- 2 tbs. chia seeds
- 10 tbs. coconut milk - unsweetened
- 2 servings vanilla vegan protein powder - Nuzest
- 1 cup quiona - cooked
- 2 tbs. coconut flour
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup coconut flakes - unsweetened, shredded
- 2 tbs. cacao nibs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. gluten free baking powder
- additional shredded coconut - cacao nibs and sunflower seeds for topping
- Make the quinoa if you need to. I used leftover cooked quinoa.
- Preheat the oven to 375. Line a muffin tin with 8 silicone muffin liners (or use the parchment paper liners)
- Mash the banana with a fork. Add the chia seeds and coconut milk. Let sit 1-2 minutes
- Add the protein powder, quinoa, coconut flour and stir well.
- Mix in the sunflower seeds, cacao nibs, shredded coconut and vanilla extract. Mix well to combine.
- Stir in the gluten free baking powder.
- Divide between the 8 muffin liners. These muffins will not rise any, so fill them up high.
- Top the muffins with a sprinkle of shredded coconut, cacao nibs and sunflower seeds.
- Bake at 375F for 35 minutes.
- Take out and allow to cool completely. Remove from liners and enjoy!
SHOP MY FAVORITE FAST MEAL MUST-HAVES
Use the buttons below to buy my must-have fast meal basics and don't forget to visit my Amazon Shop!
What about you?
- Favorite muffin flavor?
- What would you put cacao nibs on?
- Do you often need an afternoon snack?