Easy green breakfast smoothie bowls are such a treat! They pack all the same great benefits of a green smoothie – but you get to eat them with a spoon and really enjoy them! The best part is they are super thick and very filling! You know what they say, breakfast is the most important meal of the day! So I make sure to start it with something healthy! These green breakfast smoothie bowls are gluten free, high protein, and such a fun way to get a serving of veggies!
Most of my mornings are rushed and I barely have time to dress myself let alone sit and eat something. But those glorious days when I wake up on time and actually have a few minutes to eat breakfast on my back porch listening to the birds chirping – those days are the best! And of course on those days I want something extra special. I wish I could say I had time to bake cinnamon rolls or make pancakes, but those are usually reserved for the weekends for me.
The key to a great green smoothie bowl is to have a good base green smoothie recipe. I love to use strawberries and spinach as my base, but you can use whatever your favorite fruit combo is. I add a tablespoon of flax seeds and a half of a teaspoon of chia seeds to the base recipe to make sure it’s nice and thick! I added chocolate protein powder to my smoothies. It’s really the only way I stay full!
When people used to tell me they would have a smoothie for breakfast I would laugh at them and say, I like to eat my food and I would be starving with only a smoothie! Well that was before I realized that people were adding healthy fat and protein to their smoothies! Duh of course you stay full, it’s a complete meal! Luckily I gave green smoothies a try, and I have to admit I’m pretty addicted to them.
I have to say my investment in a powerful blender has really made my addiction to green smoothies what it is today. I love mine so much and when Dave’s blender died a few months ago, he got the even bigger blender then I did. I never believed the expensive blenders were worth all their hype until I got my own! If you find yourself making smoothies everyday, I would highly recommend a blender upgrade (affiliate link). I can’t stand chewing my smoothie, which is what I did with my old blender!
This green smoothie bowl would also be the perfect snack in the middle of the day. This frosty bowl of yumminess would be the perfect way to cool off on those hot summer afternoons! Like I said, feel free to change up the fruits you use, you will never get bored!
Green Breakfast Smoothie Bowl
- 1 cup frozen spinach
- 6-8 frozen organic strawberries
- 1 tbs. flax seeds
- 1 tsp. chia seeds
- 1 scoop chocolate protein powder
- 1/2 tbs. coconut butter or peanut butter
- 1 cup milk of choice I used flax milk
- Water as needed i used about 1/2 cup
- Toppings: strawberries cacao nibs, coconut butter, peanut butter
- In a blender place your frozen spinach and strawberries. Add flax and chia seeds then protein powder. Add nut butter and fill up with milk of choice. Blend until smooth. If too thick, add as much water as needed (I use about 1/2 cup).
- Pour smoothie out into a bowl. Add as much of the desired toppings as you wish!
What About You?
- Have you tried a smoothie in a bowl before?
- What your favorite fruit or veggie to add to your smoothie?