Black Bean Quesadilla is my go-to dinner when I just want something quick and easy, yet super delicious and healthy. Sometimes that means I make a Niçoise salad or sweet potato pizza bites. But let's be honest sometimes you just want something that's a little eewie gooey cheesy delicious too.
On nights like those I try to just listen to my body and I make something healthy like this black bean and butternut squash quesadilla. I up the protein by adding one of my favorite ingredients, quinoa! I also added some arugula because adding something green always makes a dish feel just a little bit healthier. Arugula is great for this dish, since it has a peppery bite that goes perfectly with the Monterey Jack cheese. These quesadillas paired perfectly with my pineapple coleslaw, have you tried it yet?
As always, if you have a favorite food that you love to add to your quesadillas by all means throw it in there. This would be great with some added chopped chicken or grilled shrimp but I was aiming for quick and healthy and this fits the bill perfectly just as it is.
I talked about how much time and energy doing a Sunday night meal prep saves me. I highly recommend doing this every week. It doesn't take very much time, and it really saves you time during the week when we are all running around busy and hungry. Practicing meal prep can really help you take fast food off the table.
I hope to show you that with a little bit of creativity you can re-purpose any of the meal prep items you may choose to make. I love to have quinoa, butternut squash, sweet potatoes and of course protein cookies on hand during the week. This really saves a ton of time and can open up the possibilities for dinner any night.
GET 10 OF MY ALL TIME GREATEST RECIPES
IN THIS FREE EBOOK
Black Bean Quesadilla Spotlight
Black beans are powerhouse food if you ask me. Not only are they full of heart healthy fiber but they're also packed with protein. The starch and black beans is called insoluble fiber which is great for gut health. Black beans can be a bit tough on the digestive system, but if you soak them in hot water for a bit before using them, you will find that the beans don't give you as much tummy troubles.
Black Bean Quesadilla Recipe Tips
I was able to find gluten-free flour tortillas from Wrap-it'z gluten free wraps. They were reasonably priced and had a really good texture and taste. These quesadillas held up to be my lunch the next day so I give them a big thumbs up. If you don't do dairy or are practicing vegan you can of course choose Daiya brand cheese it's a great alternative.
If you have a large griddle (I love these for making pancakes too), you can make all four of these quesadillas at once! I love mine and use it at least 2-3 times a week!
Also, if you are going to start doing Sunday meal prep, I recommend using glass Pyrex to store these items. Using plastic to store food, especially hot food is not recommended due to how plastic degrades, especially when in contact with heat.
Black Bean Quesadilla
- 4 gluten free flour tortillas
- 1 cup butternut squash – roasted and cooled*
- 1 cup quinoa – cooked and cooled*
- 1 can of black beans – drained and rinced
- 1/2 tsp season salt
- 2 tbs. chopped red onion
- 1 cup arugula
- .5 cup So Delicious Cheddar Cheese
- 1 tomato chopped
- 1-2 tbs. red onion chopped
- cilantro – chopped
- Prepare black beans by draining can of organic black beans and letting the beans sit in hot water for 5 minutes. Drain this water.
- Add soaked beans to small pot, add 1/4 cup water, chopped red onion and season salt. Simmer over medium heat 5-6 minutes. Turn down to lcw and cook 2 more minutes.
- Once black beans are done, preheat a large pan. Pray the pan with nonstick spray. Place tortilla on the pan. Add 2 tbs. cheese to 1/2 of tortilla. Add 1/4 cup black beans, 1/4 cup butternut squash, 1/4 cup quinoa, handful of arugula, a few chopped tomatoes, a sprinkle of red onion and optional cilantro. Top with another 2 tbs. of cheese.
- Close the other side of the tortilla over the beans/veggies.
- Let cook 2-3 minutes. Carefully flip and cook 2-3 more minutes on other side.
- Serve with your favorite guacamole and salsa.
SHOP MY FAVORITE FAST MEAL MUST-HAVES
Use the buttons below to buy my must-have fast meal basics and don't forget to visit my Amazon Shop!
What about you?
- What is your favorite ingredient in Mexican food?
- Do you make your own guacamole or buy store bought?
- Mild, medium or hot salsa?
* This post may contain affiliate links.