Healthy, simple and delicious, these black bean sweet potato nachos are sure to become one of your favorite game day or weeknight snacks. With just a few ingredients, these gluten free, vegan, dairy free nachos are packed with flavor and so filling.
I have a confession, up until about 2 years ago my idea of a simple Tuesday night dinner was baked tortillas with cheese melted in the microwave and topped with salsa. I’ve always been a fan of nachos, and those were the definition of simple. Not very healthy or satisfying, but simple. Then I started meal planning, and I found ways to make things a little bit healthier (and more filling).
My go to combination is black beans and sweet potatoes. Don’t believe me? Check out these black bean stuffed sweet potatoes or this ultimate chili stuffed sweet potato. I eat a combination of black beans and roasted sweet potatoes at least once a week, it’s so addicting. Hopefully you agree! Well these nachos were bound to happen sooner or later.
I usually make sweet potato rounds, which are thicker slices of sweet potatoes roasted in the oven. I dip them in ketchup, and they are heaven . You should really try them this way if you haven’t. Sometimes I find myself eating these sweet potato rounds by themselves for dinner – not on purpose, but because I just can’t stop eating them, they are so good. Making nachos out of them instead was a great way to get some protein and fiber, as well as some healthy fats. Because everything is better with avocado, am I right?
Speaking of, Dave has decided that he really doesn’t care for avocado. I know, he’s crazy. But I keep trying to find new ways to get him to try it again. He will eat it mashed up with tuna served with plantain chips, and I was really hoping he would like it as this avocado sauce I created. Originally I used greek yogurt to make this sauce, but he has been staying away from dairy lately since we are trying to heal his gut. I made him the paleo mini pepper nachos and made the avocado saue in this recipe to go along with them. Unfortunately, he didn’t want it to ‘ruin” his beloved peppers, so I got all of the sauce. And I have to say, I think I really like it this way. It’s simple but oh so tasty!
The avocado crema in the video attached is my 100% go to favorite taco sauce ever. If you eat dairy and love greek yogurt as much as I do, you have to try it. The recipe below reflects the vegan version, without the greek yogurt. It’s really yummy as well but doesn’t give me the same warm and fuzzies as the avocado crema. To make the avocado crema, just add 1/2 container of greek yogurt to the avocado sauce listed below and blend it all up in the blender (or by hand). You will want to add 1 tsp. ground cumin to this as well.
Black Bean Sweet Potato Nachos
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Cut potato into rounds.
- Line a large baking sheet with foil or parchment paper, spray with non-stick spray.
- Place the sweet potato round on the baking sheet and place in the oven for 25 minutes.
- Once the timer goes off, remove the sweet potato rounds from the oven and flip them over. Bake for an additional 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly.
- While the sweet potato rounds are cooling, rinse and drain a can of black beans.
- Add the black beans, 1 tsp. cumin, 2 tsp. chili powder, 1/4 tsp. salt, 1/2 tsp. garlic powder to a bowl. Microwave on high for 1 1/2 minutes.
- While the black beans are cooking smash and avocado in a bowl. Once mashed, add the remaining salt and garlic powder. Add coconut milk and stir well, making a avocado sauce to pour on the nachos.
- Assemble the sweet potato nachos making one layer of potatoes, Top with black beans, avocado sauce and salsa, continue to stack the sweet potatoes and layering with the toppings.
What about you?
- What is your favorite way to enjoy nachos?
- Do you love avocado? What’s your favorite way to enjoy it?
- What are you planning on making for the big game this weekend?