Lasagna!! Who doesn’t love lasagna, and now I have a way for you to enjoy it anytime, and guess what it only takes 15 minutes from start to finish! I knew you would be excited! This low carb lasagna has paleo options, is gluten free, grain free and is so simple to make.
Growing up we ate the same 5-6 meals on rotation in my house. Most nights were pot roast, mashed potatoes (which I would always get seconds of) and some kind of veggie. But every once and awhile my mom would go out of her way to make lasagna. This was a serious upgrade from the usual spaghetti night and I was always so excited for lasagna! Even now, my mom will make lasagna for special occasions and I get so excited.
Finding a gluten free lasagna noodle that didn’t upset Dave’s stomach, well that has been pretty impossible. So instead I turned to my best friend in the kitchen, cauliflower! Yup this lasagna is a combination of grass fed beef, cauliflower rice, frozen bell peppers and homemade pasta sauce. And everything comes together in about 15 minutes! These are the kinds of meals I try to create to bring excitement to dinner without making me want to pull my hair out.
Seriously have you made lasagna lately? It’s like 10 steps, then it has to bake for 45 minutes then you have to let it cool. OMG who has time for that! Not me. So instead we are making a no bake cauliflower (almost one pot) lasagna that is perfect for weeknight dinners!
What are some of my tips? Tip one, buy some cauliflower rice from Trader Joe’s. It’s the best investment of my time yet. Although it only takes a few minutes to make cauliflower rice from scratch, not needing to clean the food processor on a weeknight is seriously high on my list of things that make me happy!
I’ll give you my tips on cauliflower rice thought:
- If you are in a hurry, use bagged cauliflower florets. This means you don’t need to break out your knife and cutting board, just open the bag, pour in the food processor and pulse for about 20 seconds until it looks like rice. You might need to scrape down the sides once or twice.
- If you have a ton of cauliflower (like from the CSA), remove the green leaves, cut the florets away from the stalk, then rough chop them (no need to make it pretty, it’s going to be rice). Then add the florets to the food processor, pulse until form a rice like consistency. You may need to work in batches.
- Microwave on high for 4-5 minutes with 1/2 lemon squeezed on it before you microwave. This will save you from smelling the cauliflower as much 🙂 You are welcome!
To make this an almost one pot meal, you will need to brown the grass fed beef then use a paper towel to remove some of the fat from the pan. Push the meat to the side and add the frozen sliced bell peppers. You will want to cook until the liquid given off by the peppers is slightly evaporated. Once the peppers are soft, push them out of the center of the pan and allow the water in the pan to boil off for 2-3 minutes. Then add the cauliflower rice and pasta sauce. Everything will be all good if you follow those steps!
You can make your own pizza sauce following the recipe I provided or you can just use a jar of your favorite sauce. Just be sure to check the sugar and added ingredients! They tend to sneak high fructose corn syrup in a lot of those sauces!
You could also use ground chicken or turkey or even use lentils to make this dish, it would be equally as delicious!
Low Carb Cauliflower Lasagna!
- 14.9 oz. can crushed tomatoes with basil
- 1/2 tube tomato paste about 4 tbs
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1/4- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 lb grass fed ground beef lean
- 1 bag chopped frozen bell peppers
- ½ white/yellow/red onion sliced thin
- 1 pizza sauce recipe
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. onion powder
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp. salt
- 3 cups cauliflower rice or one bag Trader Joe's Frozen Riced Cauliflower
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup optional mozzarella cheese I used Goat's milk cheddar
- Combine all ingredients in a small pot and stir well. Heat over medium heat until just starting to bubble. Remove from heat and add to the lasagna.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add ground beef and break up beef stirring occasionally until no longer pink. Push beef to the side of the skillet. Remove excess fat (if any) with a few paper towels.
- Add the onions and cook 2 minutes. Add the frozen peppers and cook 6-7 minutes until most of the water has cooked out of the pan. Stir together with the beef, garlic powder, onion powder, dried oregano, salt and add cauliflower rice.
- Add the pizza sauce and stir.
- Turn on broiler
- Add optional grated cheese to the top and broil 1-2 minutes (if you are using a stainless steel pan with a stainless handle). If you aren’t using a stainless pan you can just add the lid and allow to melt, no broiler needed.
What about you?
- What special meal did your mom/dad make for you when you were growing up that always got you excited?
- Do you have a Trader Joe’s near by? Have you gotten the cauliflower rice yet?
- What’s your favorite jarred pasta sauce?