These black bean stuffed sweet potatoes are a quick and simple dinner that will not disappoint! Ready in just minutes, this gluten free, vegan, dinner recipe is sure to become a staple in your house! Smoky and sweet, the contrast of cumin and smoked paprika against the sweet potatoes will satisfy most any craving!
Sweet potatoes are hands down one of my favorite foods and I encourage my clients to fill up on this healthy carb! I don't seem to run out of ways to enjoy sweet potatoes either. If you love pizza, check out these sweet potato pizza bites. Probably one of my favorite ways, made into protein packed sweet potato protein bites these little orange beauties are so versatile and relatively inexpensive.
Growing up I don't remember ever having a sweet potato. Maybe they weren't as popular as they are today? Or maybe my mom just didn't know what they were, either way I vividly remember eating my first sweet potato. It was covered in butter and brown sugar and it was at a steakhouse. I can't remember if I was still in high school or just started college but man was I missing out. Although there really isn't much better than a sweet potato covered in sugar and butter (except maybe honey and coconut butter – you have to try that), I tend to look for healthier ways to enjoy sweet potatoes.
Black beans and Mexican inspired seasonings are a match made in heaven. A little cumin, smoked paprika and garlic powder and these black beans are transformed into something really tasty. So much so that I tend to eat them straight out of the bowl with my spoon while I'm waiting for the veggies to cook. I clearly don't have any patience :) Plus I have to admit the life of a food blogger means that I rarely ever get to eat hot food, so I sneak a bite or two when it's hot when I can!
This meal is the perfect example of meal prep at it's finest. You roast the sweet potatoes early in the week and chop your veggies so the night you are making dinner all you have to do is quickly make the black beans and saute the veggies. Everything is ready in under 10 minutes. Even on the busiest nights, most people can find 10 minutes to make dinner, healthy or not! You can't even make a frozen pizza in 10 minutes!
GET 10 OF MY ALL TIME GREATEST RECIPES
IN THIS FREE EBOOK
My favorite part of this meal has got to be the buttery avocado on top of the mound of veggies and black beans. I'm seriously obsessed with avocado lately, it's so yummy! Dave still doesn't like it, so more for me! I had one of the ladies in the gym try my avocado tuna salad (which is super green from the avocado) and she somehow convinced her husband to try it even though he “doesn't eat green food” and he actually liked it! I was seriously cracking up when she was telling me this! Moral of the story, never give up trying to get your family to eat healthy, eventually they cave and actually have to admit they like something :)
Black Bean Stuffed Sweet Potatoes Recipe Tips
This black bean stuffed sweet potatoes would be a great way to get the family to try to include more veggies and healthy fiber into their diets. Most people stay away from beans because you know they are the musical fruit and all but I have a solution that I've shared with you in the past on beans. You have to soak them and buy organic! I read that the conventionally grown beans are sprayed with a pesticide that is known to cause stomach problems. Which is why I recommend buying organic. I rinse all the liquid away from the beans until the water I add to the can runs clear. Once there is no longer any more bean liquid, add fresh water to the can of beans and let sit 2-3 minutes. Drain and viola, beans that don't automatically tear up your stomach!
Ok now that we know how to prepare the black beans I think you are in shape. Just saute your favorite veggies (I like zucchini, summer squash, bell pepper and onion) add some cumin and paprika and you are ready for dinner! You can always use pulled chicken, pork, homemade sofritas or your favorite chili in addition to or instead of the black beans, but I really love this dish just the way it is!
Black Bean Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- 4 large sweet potatoes – roasted or microwaved until soft
- 2 cans black beans – drained and rinsed, soaked for 2-3 minutes in clean water
- 2 zucchini squash – cubed
- 2 summer squash – cubed
- 1-2 red or orange bell pepper
- 1/2 onion – red or white
- 1 tbs. cumin – divided
- 1/2 tbs. smoked paprika
- 2 tsp. garlic powder – divided
- 1/2 tsp. salt – divided
- 1-2 avocado – sliced
- Roast or microwave the sweet potatoes until tender. Be sure to make some slits in the top of the potato to allow steam to escape. Roast at 425F for about an hour or microwave on high for 6-8 mnutes.
- Once sweet potatoes are done, chop the veggies and add them to a large saute pan that has been sprayed with non-stick spray (coconut oil) over medium heat.
- While veggies are cooking, add 1 tsp. cumin, 1/2 tsp. garlic powder and 1/4 tsp. salt to the rinsed and drained black beans in a microwave safe bowl. Add 1-2 tbs. water to the black beans and microwave on high for 2 minutes.
- After the veggies have been cooking 5-6 minutes, add the rest of the cumin, garlic powder, all of the smoked paprika and the rest of the salt. You may need to add 1-2 tbs. of water to the pan to distribute the spiced on the veggies. Cook 1-2 more minutes until veggies slightly soft.
- Cut open the sweet potatoes, top with 1/2 cup black beans (or more to your preference) and 1/4 of the veggies. Top with avocado and salsa
SHOP MY FAVORITE FAST MEAL MUST-HAVES
Use the buttons below to buy my must-have fast meal creation basics and visit my Amazon Shop!
What about you?
- What is your favorite way to enjoy a sweet potato? Have you ever made black bean stuffed sweet potatoes?
- What green food do you not love?
- Do you remember if you grew up eating sweet potatoes?