This salmon recipe is ready in just 7 minutes, and only requires just a tad bit of work. No more excuses that you don’t have time to cook dinner, this salmon is ready before you would even get a drink at a restaurant.
I have a confession to make. Cooking fish on the stove terrifies me. I’m always so scared that it’s going to stick and dinner will be ruined. But not anymore! Since I discovered the sear and broil method, I am no longer worried about half of my salmon sticking to the pan. Now I’m worried about having defrosted salmon on hand at all times!
One of my goals for this year has been to get more Omega-3 fatty acids in my diet. After studying for my nutrition certification over the fall, I realized that there were often weeks that went by where I wasn’t eating fish regularly or taking a fish oil supplement. But ever since I discovered how quick and easy making salmon is this way, I haven’t had to take it! I have salmon at least 2-3 times a week now!
Why haven’t I shared this recipe with you before. Well honestly, every time I take a picture of salmon or any other fish, it looks so terrible. I take a ton of pictures, and get super disappointed when Dave gives me the “ugh that looks gross” face. And I always agree. After all we eat with our eyes first, especially on a food blog. So my goal for this year is to get better at taking seafood recipes! I hope to have more to share soon!
What makes this simple 7 minute salmon recipe so special. There are only 4 ingredients and you just need your stove and the broiler setting on the oven. You will need to preheat the pan on the stove and let the broiler get hot before you start the 7 minute timer, but really that’s just another minute or two to the total. This is still totally a 10 minute meal from start to finish! My suggestion would be to have this salmon on top of a tomato avocado salad or with green cauliflower rice!
IN THIS FREE EBOOK
The trick to getting the salmon skin crispy and not to stick to the pan is having a piping hot pan to add the salmon to and then not touching it for any reason. It’s actually the perfect dish for those who don’t “know how to cook” because you don’t really have to do anything!
I seasoned the salmon very simply, with just salt and pepper. You will need some coconut oil spray or coconut oil to ensure that the skin is able to get nice and crispy (and not stick). Be sure to use a pan that can go into the oven. This means no plastic handles! I use a stainless steel pan, but you could also use cast iron!
Simple 7 Minute Salmon Recipe
Guided Recipe Video
- Turn the broiler for your oven.
- Place your saute pan on medium to medium high heat and allow to heat up for 1-2 minutes. Once hot (you can drop water onto the skillet, it it sizzles you are good).
- Add the salt and pepper to the salmon fillets.
- Take the hot pan off the heat and spray with the coconut oil and immediately add the salmon, skin side down (so the skin is touching the skillet). Allow to cook for 2 minutes.
- Immediately transfer to the oven under the preheated broiler. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven (use ovenmits) and allow to cool 1-2 minutes.
- Serve with your favorite sides!
What about you?
- Do you cook fish at home?
- What is your favorite way to eat salmon?
- Have you ever tried this method for cooking fish?