Cool off this summer with this easy, vegan, protein packed chocolate cherry frozen yogurt. With just a few ingredients, you will be able to enjoy a healthy, no sugar added frozen yogurt in just 25 minutes!
Chocolate and cherry are one of my favorite flavor combinations. For a few years, I refused to eat cherries, I just didn’t like them! But I kept trying them every few years, hoping that this would be the year I liked cherries. Well I bought a bag of frozen dark sweet cherries from Whole Foods and fell in love! Ever since then, I’ve been adding dark sweet cherries to my morning smoothies, oatmeal, and in quinoa bowls.
Dave got me a ice cream maker for my birthday. He joked with me that by the end of the summer he will have gained a bunch of weight from me trying out all of these frozen yogurt and ice cream flavor combinations I dream about. I have to say he’s probably right! I think I want to try caramel or coffee next! I certainly love making small batches of ice cream or frozen yogurt at home. This way I can control the quality of the ingredients.
The best part of this frozen yogurt is that it’s secretly healthy! The chocolate flavor is from protein powder and unsweetened cocoa powder. The protein powder and sweet red cherries are sweet enough, so no added sugar is needed! Add cacao nibs to this frozen yogurt for texture and added chocolate flavor. Mini chocolate chips would be great as well.Cool off this summer with this #vegan Chocolate Cherry Frozen Yogurt #fitfluential @pancakewarrior_ Click To Tweet
I make small batches of frozen yogurt to eat that day. The frozen yogurt freezes in about 25 minutes in the ice cream machine. I usually add in my mix in’s – in this case cherries and cacao nibs and throw the mixture in the freezer for an hour or two to harden slightly. I found that if you leave the frozen yogurt in the freezer overnight, you may have to leave it out on the counter to defrost for quite some time before it’s scoopable again. Alternatively you could add vodka to the frozen yogurt mixture as before pouring into the ice cream machine, as this helps from ice crystals from forming.
If you’ve never tried Sunwarrior (affiliate link) protein before I’d highly recommend giving it a try!
- 16 oz So Delicious Vanilla Coconut Yogurt, unsweetened if possible.
- 2 scoops SunWarrior Chocolate Protein Powder
- 1 tbs. cocoa powder
- 2 tbs. coconut cream
- 1-2 packets of stevia or 1-2 tbs. coconut sugar
- 1 cup frozen dark sweet cherries, chopped slightly
- 2 tbs. cacao nibs
- Freeze the base of the ice cream maker for 8-12 hours
- In a large mixing bowl, add together coconut yogurt, protein powder, cocoa powder, coconut cream and stevia.
- Turn on the ice cream maker and pour the yogurt mixture into the ice cream machine.
- Churn the frozen yogurt for 25 minutes or until frozen and thickened.
- Once frozen, remove from ice cream maker and mix in the frozen dark sweet cherries and cacao nibs and stir.
- Place in the freezer for 1-2 hours before serving.
What about you?
- What is your favorite ice cream flavor?
- Do you have an ice cream machine?