Broccoli Cheese Soup has got to be hands down one of my favorite soups. This easy recipe will have a healthy, low calorie but incredibly filling pot of broccoli cheese soup on the table in just 25 minutes from start to finish. That’s right, this soup is not just vegan and gluten free, but it’s also packed with fiber, protein and is dairy free! The best part, this is a great way to get a ton of vegetable servings in one meal.
Non-Dairy Broccoli Cheese Soup
There are a few comfort foods I have yet to “healthify” and broccoli cheese soup was one of them. The classic is so rich and creamy, I didn’t think I would be able to recreate that without using heavy cream or at least a few cups of cheese.
But after making the Best Ever Mushroom White Bean Soup with pureed white beans, I’ve been a bit obsessed with pureeing white beans to thicken soups and sauces, and I’m constantly amazed how filling the dish is with the addition of the white beans.
Well clearly I had to try this with broccoli and cheese soup, after all, it’s getting chilly here and there is nothing quite like a big bowl of soup to warm up from the inside out. This soup will certainly be on my weekly rotation, it’s so easy to make and it’s pretty cheap! You could use frozen cauliflower and broccoli to really boost the savings. The big savings comes with not having to add 3-4 cups of cheese to the soup. Cheese always seems to make the price skyrocket.
DOWNLOAD MY 10 EASY VEGAN SOUP RECIPES
Did I mention this soup is packed with veggies. The other secret ingredient to this thick, creamy soup. CAULIFLOWER. Yup, there is a whole head of cauliflower in there as well. I told you it was packed with veggies. And these are hidden in the cheese soup, so even if your kids refuse to eat the broccoli, you can have them eat the cauliflower “cheese” and they won’t be any wiser to your little trick.
I’ve actually been playing around with cauliflower lately as well. I’m pretty convinced there is nothing that cauliflower can’t do. I can’t wait to share some creative ways to use this versatile veggie soon!
So this soup is crazy simple. Only one pot is required, and the ingredient list (without salt and pepper) is only 9 ingredients. How simple is that? I’m telling you anyone can make this soup, you just need an immersion blender or blender and the best vegan cheese replacement; nutritional yeast.
Broccoli Cheese Soup Spotlight
Nutritional yeast, if you haven’t heard of it before, is a staple in most vegan pantry’s. Not only does it taste very similar to cheese, but it’s packed with protein and other necessary vitamins and minerals. Nutritional yeast is a great way for vegans and vegetarians to get Vitamin B-12. Vitamin B-12 deficiencies can lead to low white blood cells.
Vitamin B-12 is normally found in animal foods. Most vegans and vegetarians are required to supplement with Vitamin B-12 but nutritional yeast and fortified foods like grains and non-dairy milk are great ways to get Vitamin B-12 without supplements.
Nutritional yeast can be found online but I really like to buy mine in the bulk foods bins at Whole Foods or Earth Fare. You can buy just what you need. However, once you try this you will want to start adding it to things like spaghetti and mac and cheese to give it a nutritional boost and that cheesy taste we all love!
So now that you know how healthy this soup is, let’s make a pot, put on our comfy slippers and get cozy on the couch with a good movie ok?
Broccoli Cheese Soup Recipe Video
See just how easy this amazing Vegan Broccoli Cheese Soup is to make with the video below! Let me know if you have any questions in the comments below.
Vegan Broccoli Cheese Soup
- 1 head cauliflower - removed from thick stalk and cut into small pieces
- 1 organic vegetable stock - box
- 1 head broccoli - removed from thick stalk, cut into small bite size pieces
- 2 organic carrots - sliced
- 1 can organic northern white beans
- 3/4 cups flax or coconut milk - unsweetened, divided
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. thyme - optional
- Black pepper to taste
- In a large pot, add 1/2 the carton of vegetable broth and cauliflower. Cover and cook 12-15 minutes, or until cauliflower is tender.
- While cauliflower is cooking, chop the broccoli and slice the carrots.
- Once cauliflower is tender, blend the cauliflower in the pot with an immersion blender (or transfer to blender and blend in batches, being careful with hot liquids).
- To the cauliflower puree, add the remaining vegetable broth, broccoli, carrots, garlic powder, salt, thyme and black pepper. Stir and cover for 7 minutes, or until broccoli is tender.
- While soup is cooking,rinse and drain the can of northern white beans. After soaking 5 minutes, rinse and drain. Blend with 1/2 cup non-dairy milk until smooth.
- Add beans and additional 1/4 cup non-dairy milk to the soup once the broccoli is tender.
- Add 1/2 cup nutritional yeast and stir to combine.
- Allow to cool slightly before enjoying.
- NOTE: If the soup is too thick for you, add another 1/4 cup non-dairy milk
- if the soup is too thin for you, simply simmer on the stove for 5 minutes or until desired consistency is reached.
What about you?
- What’s your favorite soup
- Have you ever tried nutritional yeast?
- What recipe would you like to see “healthified” next?