Smoky, spicy black bean chili stuffed sweet potatoes that have been roasted and then topped with avocado and lime cilantro yogurt cream. This is the ultimate comfort food combination! Chili is a go-to winter comfort food, and this vegan black bean version is surprisingly healthy! Roasting the sweet potatoes brings out the inherit sweetness and is the perfect base for the Ultimate Chili. Lime cilantro yogurt cream adds a touch of creaminess and helps cut through more of the spice.
What I love the most about chili is that you can make a big batch early in the week and have dinner ready for a few days. With my life being so crazy right now, trying to study for my personal training certification, work a full time job, blog full time, teach group exercise classes, and get in the gym; there is not a lot of extra time in the night. To ensure that I have quality meals for lunch and dinner, I take time on Sunday afternoons to roast sweet potatoes and make dishes like chili, lentils, and roast vegetables. This makes pulling together a meal quick and easy throughout the week.
The ultimate chili is full of hearty, heart healthy black beans. The black beans are full of protein, fiber and are a low fat food! The carbohydrates in black beans are called resistant starches and these starches don't break down before reaching the large intestine. These starches help good bacteria grow in the large intestine which is great for digestive health.
GET 10 OF MY ALL TIME GREATEST RECIPES
IN THIS FREE EBOOK
Did you know that soaking your beans in hot water for 10 minutes (even canned beans) can take out some of the compounds that cause tummy troubles? Try this the next time you are making any dish with beans in it.
To help cut the heat in the chili, I use greek yogurt cream as a substitute for the traditional sour cream. I love using greek yogurt as it adds more quality protein and has less fat than traditional sour cream. There is also the option to use plain greek cultured coconut milk if you are vegan. To bring this yogurt up a notch, I added lime juice and chopped cilantro. The citrus notes pair perfectly with the chili and the cilantro is a natural herb to pair with these smokey, spicy flavors. I tried the ultimate chili stuffed sweet potatoes with and without the lime cilantro yogurt sauce, and I have to say, don't skip the yogurt sauce! It really makes the dish!
If you are anything like me, chili really isn't complete without sliced avocado. Well there is no difference with the ultimate chili stuffed sweet potatoes. Avocados adds that distinct creamy, buttery flavor that just completes this dish for me. Not to mention the pop of color from the green flesh against the chili and the roasted sweet potatoes.
Ultimate Stuffed Sweet Potatoes Spotlight
Sweet potatoes are very nutritious and packed with vitamins and minerals including vitamin B6, C, D, iron, magnesium, potassium, and beta carotene. Sweet potatoes are one of the BEST, delicious ways to get your daily intake of vitamin A.
Sweet potatoes are low on the glycemic index, as they release sugar into the blood stream slowly. Sweet potatoes provide energy for hours and don't spike your insulin, which means you won't crash or be hungry in 30 minutes to an hour.
Looking for more stuffed sweet potato inspiration? Check out this Black Bean Stuffed Sweet Potato.
Ultimate Stuffed Sweet Potatoes Recipe Tips
To ensure everything is done together, roast the sweet potatoes while the chili is simmering.
To store sweet potatoes, don't cut the potato until using it and wrap it in aluminum foil and refrigerate until ready to use. When you are ready to use the sweet potato, pop it in the oven for 10 minutes to heat them back up while the chili is heating up on the stove. If you are going to use the microwave, you can store the sweet potatoes whole in glass pyrex containers in the fridge. On the day you are going to enjoy this meal, cut the sweet potato and add chili and microwave the entire dish for 3 minutes on high.
Do you get annoyed when you buy a bundle of cilantro or parsley at the grocery store and it's either wilted or grows that nasty green goo withing 4 days? Well I have an easy tip for you! Simply place the herbs in a drinking glass (I use a short drinking glass). Fill the glass up with water after adding the herbs and keep in the fridge, uncovered in the middle shelf. My herbs last 2+ weeks this way!
Check out my delicious chili recipe to go over the top of these sweet potato bad boys: Ultimate Chili!
Ultimate Chili Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- 2 large sweet potatoes - roasted and split down the middle length wise
- 2 cup ultimate chili or chili of choice
- 1 container Fage 2% greek yogurt or SoDelicious Cultured Greek Yogurt
- Juice from 1 lime
- 2 tbs 1/4 cup cilantro - chopped (depending on your taste)
- Pinch of salt - about 1/8 tsp
- The flesh of 1 avocado - sliced or cubed.
- Roast sweet potatoes at 400F for 50-60 minutes until soft to the touch.
- While sweet potatoes are baking, prepare the ultimate chili.
- Once sweet potatoes are done roasting, take them out of the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes before handling.
- Prepare the lime cilantro greek yogurt while waiting on the sweet potatoes to cool. In a small bowl, combine the greek yogurt, lime juice and 2 tbs. of chopped cilantro. Add salt and taste. Add additional cilantro to your taste.
- To assemble the ultimate chili stuffed sweet potatoes, split the sweet potato down the center length wise. Slightly cut through the thickest part of each of the the two sides, allowing the potato to open up a little more for better distribution of the chili and yogurt sauce.
- Add 1 cup of chili (or more) to each sweet potato. Top with lime cilantro sauce.
- Slice or cube the avocado and add 1/2 of the avocado to each of the sweet potatoes,
SHOP MY FAVORITE FAST MEAL MUST-HAVES
Use the buttons below to buy my must-have fast meal basics and don't forget to visit my Amazon Shop!
What about you?
- What is your favorite way to eat chili?
- Do you have any quick and easy meal preparation tips?
- Is Sunday your meal prep day? What do you make?
* this post may contain affiliate links.