This turkey meatball recipe is easy to prepare and they are flavored with spinach and sundried tomatoes. Since these little turkey meatballs are so small, they cook up very quickly and pair perfectly with your favorite pasta dish or would be equally good as a turkey meatball sub.
Dave has been getting pretty bored with his food routine lately. Considering that the only spice he uses is season salt, I can imagine why. I volunteered to make him turkey meatballs over brown rice pasta and homemade marinara sauce last weekend. He grinned from ear to ear at my suggestion. By the end of his meal he said that he was really going to enjoy bulking up next winter, as I’ll be able to make him food like this anytime. The good thing is, I really can make this any time.
The ingredients are very simple. In fact, I usually have most of the ingredients like frozen spinach and sundried tomatoes and of course quinoa. By now you shouldn’t be surprised by my inclusion of quinoa in anything. It helps the meatballs retain moisture that is often lost when cooking with such a low fat ingredient. It also helps these mealtballs be very filling and help stretches the budget a little bit.
These turkey meatballs have sheep’s feta in them but any feta cheese would work. Dave has a pretty sensitive stomach when it comes to dairy however we are finding that goats cheese and sheep cheese don’t seem to affect his stomach like cows milk. So if you find that you are really missing cheese in your daily routine maybe you can try goats milk or sheep’s milk cheese as well.
These meatballs are cooked on the stove, as they only take about five-six minutes for these to cook up once they were formed and they were perfectly done. I like to use my large stainless steel skillet (affiliate link). This way I know there is enough room to cook the meatballs without overcrowding the pan. This skillet also distributes heat well so none of my meatballs burn!
In this recipe, I use the sundried tomatoes that are packed in oil I buy mine from Trader Joe’s. You really get a lot of bang for your buck as far as flavor goes with sundried tomatoes. As I mentioned before I’ve really fallen in love with sundried tomatoes over the past year actually thought I didn’t like them but it turns out they are delicious. Dave thinks they taste like pizza, which is why I included them and this turkey meatball recipe.
I wanted the recipe to be easy enough so that he could start making these on his own if he wanted to and that means if I make him measure a bunch of spices it’s never going to happen. Sundried tomatoes do most of the work in the flavored department.
Sundried Tomato Spinach Turkey Meatball Recipe
- In a small skillet over medium heat add chopped onions and frozen spinach sauté five minutes until frozen spinach is defrosted and excess water has cooked off.
- Whilel spinach is cooking add precooked quinoa to the ground turkey along with two eggs, coconut flour, quinoa flour, garlic powder then pinch of salt.
- Chop sun-dried tomatoes and add to the turkey mixture, mix everything together with a spoon. Once spinach mixture has cooked through, add it to the turkey mixture immediately.
- Add feta cheese and mix well.
- Spray on a large skillet with nonstick spray I use coconut oil place over medium heat. Using your hands clean hands start making your little meatballs quickly getting them into the pan avoid overcrowding make two batches of needed.
- Cook for two or three minutes flip over to the other side cooking additional two or three minutes check the inside for pinkness involved think it's gone is a ready-to-eat.
What about you?
- Do you have a meal you keep making over and over that’s getting old?
- What is your favorite way to change up an old recipe?
- Do you make food you don’t taste?