Lentil Soup is one of my favorite dishes to feed a crowd on a cold winter evening. This lentil soup is a wonderfully hearty dish and will easily please both vegetarians and meat eaters alike! Lentils are also very inexpensive, leaving you more money for fun things like wine and dessert when entertaining large groups. This soup is even better the next day, so it’s a wonderful option for entertaining on a busy schedule.
I’ve had many versions of lentil soup and I continue to come back to this recipe. It’s versatile. Add whatever veggies you have on hand, and it doubles or even triples without much added effort once you get through chopping the vegetables. To make this dish extra special for guests, I added these wine braised shallots to stir into the soup once finished.
These shallots are almost as good as caramelized onions. Oh did I mention they are also full of booze. That makes them better than caramelized onions 🙂 An added bonus, your kitchen will smell amazing, and your wine bottle will be open, so you might as well have a glass while waiting on everything to cook.
The key to this recipe is time and sherry vinegar. Sherry vinegar changed my opinion of canned tomatoes. It makes them amazing. It’s like secret sauce in a bottle. If you want to impress someone with your homemade sauce or soup, add sherry vinegar – I promise you won’t regret it 😉
Speaking of impressing people, homemade crackers will definitely turn heads. Featured in this recipe is Hemp Almond Crackers to accompany this dish. Recipe is will be posted this coming week, keep checking back!
This time of year, we get so caught up in our busy schedules. We often don’t eat as well because we’re so busy. This soup is a very hands off dish after you’re done chopping the veggies. Giving you back some time to sit back and relax while it’s cooking, or to get done some extra online shopping for the Holidays. It’s perfect for Sunday Supper or Monday lunches at work, this soup just gets better with time.
Lentil Soup with Wine Braised Shallots
- 1 onion diced
- 3 carrots chopped into bite-size pieces
- 3 ribs celery chopped
- 1 parsnip peeled and chopped
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 5 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups organic vegetable stock
- 1 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 2 tsp. sherry vinegar
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp. rosemary
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cup lentils brown lentils
- In a large soup pot, spray with nonstick coconut oil and add onions and celery. Allow to cook 2-3 minutes over medium heat.
- Add carrots, red pepper, and parsnips. Cook 5 minutes.
- Add organic vegetable stock and cook 5 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients and stir until everything is thoroughly combined. Cover.
- Allow mixture to come up to a gentle boil, then drop down to medium low heat. Allow to cook 30 minutes or until lentils are tender.
- Allow to cool for a few minutes before serving.
- Serve with wine braised shallots and homemade flax almond crackers.
Wine Braised Shallots
- In a small sauce pan over medium heat, add sliced shallots, red wine and stock. Stir to combine.
- Add bay, thyme, salt and pepper and cover pot.
- Allow mixture to come to a gentle boil. Turn down to medium low and allow to cook covered 15-20 minutes until shallots are soft and most of the wine/broth has been absorbed.
- Allow to cook uncovered 5-10 minutes until all wine/broth has evaporated or been absorbs by shallots.
- Serve in favorite soup or stew or as a topping for your favorite pizza or as part of a cheese plate.
What About You?!
- Do you have a favorite soup for a gathering?
- Do you like to cook with wine? Red or White?