Flavorful black beans, cauliflower rice, smokey fiery bell peppers, black bean lentil burgers, and fava bean guacamole all over romaine lettuce and smothered with your favorite salsa. This is totally figure friendly food that the entire family will love! These homemade burrito bowls are all of my favorite Mexican flavors in one bowl over romaine lettuce so you can get away with calling it a salad if you want. I’m just saying!
This burrito bowl is inspired by my love for Chipotle! It’s our favorite place to go on a Sunday night after hitting the gym hard all week. We don’t go every week, but when we do, we both walk out full and satisfied. I was hoping to create the same feeling with something I made at home with a little bit more veggies in the mix.
To do that, I used cauliflower rice! Have you ever tried this? Oh my gosh it’s so easy and it’s amazing. I roast mine and any cauliflower taste is gone after roasting, and all you taste is nutty, caramelized cauliflower that mimics rice perfectly, especially in dishes like this!
This burrito bowl also has my famous black beans on it. I’ve made black beans this way for 5+ years, and everyone that tastes them loves them and thinks I slaved for hours developing the flavors. Little do they know it takes me about…. oh 7 minutes 🙂 And I’m sharing the recipe with you so you can have a quick go to recipe to serve over nachos, in burritos, or on salads loaded with salsa and guacamole. Mmm my mouth is watering just thinking about this!
There is something about cooking Mexican food at home. The house smells amazing and I like that I can adjust the heat to my own personal preferences. I usually like food to be about “medium” but can’t stand when food is so spicy you can’t taste the delicate flavors, so I often opt for mild when we go out to eat. With that being said, adjust accordingly when you are making these at home.
I used a great shortcut to make the peppers in this dish. I just defrosted a bag of frozen peppers and onions, heated them up on the stove and added spices right there. Easy peasy. And no chopping makes me a happy girl.
I added black bean lentil burgers and fava bean guacamole to my homemade burrito bowls. I ate this same thing 3 days in a row, it was that good! If you love Chipotle or Mexican food, you will love these homemade burrito bowls.
- 1 can of organic black beans, drained
- ¼ red onion finely chopped
- ¼ tsp. season salt
- ½ tsp. cumin
- ⅛ tsp. cayenne pepper*
- 1 head cauliflower
- ½ tsp salt
- black pepper
- 1 - 2 bags frozen bell peppers and onions (stir fry) defrosted and drained
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- ½ tsp. smoked paprika
- ⅛ tsp. cayenne pepper
- black pepper
- Drain and rince a can of organic black beans.
- Add black beans to a sauce pan with a lid. Add ½ can of water, the red onion, season salt and cumin. Add cayenne if you like spice.
- Cover beans and heat over medium heat. After 5 minutes, turn down to medium low and allow to cook 2-3 more minutes. Stir frequently.
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Cut cauliflower into florets. Add florets to food processor and pulse until "rice" is formed, be careful not to go to far with this, as you don't want a paste. Remove any big pieces that don't break down after a few pulses. You may need to do this in batches for ease.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and spray with non-stick spray. Add cauliflower rice and spread the "rice" out so there are not huge piles on the cookie sheet. Again this might take a few batches for the entire head of cauliflower.
- Spray the cauliflower with nonstick spray and sprinkle with salt and few cracks black pepper. Stir and redistribute into a thin layer.
- Roast in oven for 20 minutes, stirring half way through. Make sure to keep an eye on this after 15 minutes or so.
- Defrost and drain frozen peppers and onions.
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, add non stick spray (coconut oil) and cook pepper/onion mixture 5-6 minutes stirring frequently. Add spices and turn heat to medium. Let mixture cook 5-6 more minutes, stirring to ensure nothing sticks.
- To assemble the burrito bowl, chop romaine lettuce and add it to the bowl. Spoon in black beans, cauliflower rice, peppers and onions, black bean lentil burger, guacamole, tomatoes and salsa.
What about you?
- Do you love Chipotle?
- What is your favorite dish to order at a Mexican restaurant
- Mild, medium or hot salsa?