Indulge in this pina colada chia pudding for breakfast or dessert! It’s so simple to make, packed with protein, fiber and healthy fats, this is the perfect way to start or finish your day! Vegan, dairy free, gluten free, paleo, and made with whole foods!
Summer has arrived. It’s hot, all I want is breakfast to be cold, ready quickly, and full of summer flavors. I was searching the web for an idea of how to cool off and I stumbled across a recipe for pina colada parfait by my friend Giselle at Diary of an Ex-Sloth. I don’t know about you but pina colada screams summer fun to me! And I can enjoy it before 9 am. Oh yes, sign me up!
You know I had to put the Sam twist on this awesome recipe and let me tell you it did not disappoint. If I had to do anything different, I would make some of my coconut paleo granola to sprinkle on top, but I was hungry and wanted this to be quick and simple for you to make at home!
So I have to know, have you tried chia pudding before? Dave and I actually started making chia pudding bowls when he got sick last year. I have the best memory of sitting at his sisters house with Dave’s sister and parents and everyone around the table was making the best faces at Dave’s choice of food (chia pudding instead of cake). Dave and I discovered that he could easily tolerate chia pudding and it was a great way for him to enjoy his favorite flavors without feeling deprived, since all grains and sugars were out of his diet at that point. As he has slowly began to heal, we have been able to add in things like pineapple and a few grains here and there, like rice and gluten free oats. But for the most part, he still asks for chia pudding bowls on the regular!
Chia seeds are perfect for breakfast, they are able to absorb up 5-6 times their weight with liquid and thus become extremely filling! They are a great source of fiber and also full of Omega-3 fatty acids, a double win! I like to add a scoop of protein powder to my chia pudding as well, to help it be as filling as possible. Plus come on, you know me by now, everything sweet has some protein powder in is 🙂 Don’t let the chia pudding scare you!
This pina colada chia pudding is packed with coconut and pineapple to bring this tropical feeling dish to life! To keep the coconut flavor as prominent as possible, I added some coconut extract, coconut butter and coconut flakes. It was everything I wanted and more. Paired with fresh or canned pineapple and I was in breakfast heaven. Did you know that pineapple contains an enzyme called bromine. It’s thought to help with digestion, reduce bloating, constipation and IBS symtoms. That makes this pina colada chia pudding the perfect breakfast after a heavy meal the night before!Time to celebrate wtih pina colada... chia pudding! #vegan #paleo #reciperedux Click To Tweet
- 1½ cups unsweetened coconut milk (SoDelicious)
- 2 tbs. chia seeds
- ¼ tsp. coconut extract
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder (Sunwarrior)
- ½ cup pineapple chunks, divided
- ¼ cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- ½ tbs. coconut butter
- In a large cup, combine the coconut milk and chia seeds, stirring immediately.
- Blend with an immersion blender or in the blender for about 30 seconds for a smooth consistency.
- Add the protein powder and stir or blend to combine.
- Add the coconut and vanilla extract and stir well.
- Pout half the chia pudding an a glass, top with half the pineapple and coconut flakes. Pour the remaining chia pudding on top and top with the remaining pineapple, coconut flakes and coconut butter.
- Chill or serve immediately.
What about you?
- What is your favorite tropical drink?
- Have you tried chia pudding before? What did you think?