This sweet pea basli pesto cauliflower rice with garlicky black pepper salmon is a simple meal that you can have from freezer to plate in under 30 minutes! Perfect for those nights when you want something healthy and satisfying but don’t want to spend hours slaving over a meal. This meal is paleo, grain free, full of spring flavors and so easy to make!
Lately my life has been insane. Adding on a new business has taken the wind out of my sails. I have spent the past month and a half perfecting recipes, reworking them to be cooked in mass quantities and trying to figure out how to make zoodles from 20 pounds of zucchini without losing my mind. But so far all the hard work has been paying back. I get notes daily on the quality of the food and how much my clients are enjoying everything (yay!)
One of the recipes I’ve been wseaorking on lately – sweet pea basil pesto! I love the sweet pea paired with the bite from the basil and that flash of fresh garlic, it’s been my favorite combo. What I was struggling with was what to pair it with! Well I can happily say that my favorite combo yet is this sweet pea basil pesto mixed in with riced cauliflower paired with Bumble Bee SuperFresh® Salmon with Garlicky Black Pepper and Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Part of the reason I love this combo so much is that I can make the entire meal in less than 30 minutes – from frozen!!
Did you know that Bumble Bee now has a line of SuperFresh Premium Fresh Frozen fish? Why do I love this? Well the ingredients list is simply amazing. All of the ingredients are things you can recognize and clearly read. For example the ingredients in the Bumble Bee SuperFresh® Salmon with Garlicky Black Pepper and Extra Virgin Olive Oil that I used in this dish are: salmon, black pepper, sea salt, extra virgin olive oil and garlic powder. YESSS!!! And since the salmon is already seasoned, all I have to do is preheat the oven and decide on a side dish. My kind of meal after cooking in the kitchen for 10 hours. at night!
The sweet pea basil pesto is so simple to make. Just defrost the peas in the microwave, throw them in the food processor with a bunch of basil, garlic, olive oil, hemp hearts (more Omega-3’s), salt and water. Process until smooth and viola, the perfect spring pesto. If you haven’t tried sweet peas mixed with basil you have to try this combination, it’s my new favorite and I have made this pesto 3-4 times so far. I find myself eating it right out of the jar, it’s that good.
The salmon is so easy to make, you simply remove the salmon from the vacuumed sealed package, place it in the parchment paper packages provides, fold down the parchment to make a sealed pouch, place it on a rimmed baking sheet and pop it in the oven for 25 minutes. It’s crazy simple. No worrying about seasoning and no worrying about the quality of the ingredients either!
This sweet pea basil pesto is sweeter than normal pesto, which led it to be the perfect compliment to the garlicky black pepper salmon. The spice on the salmon and the sweetness of the sweet pea basil pesto made for a perfectly balanced meal that didn’t require a ton of ingredients or effort. Another plus, this dinner is insanely healthy! There are 2-3 servings of veggies in this meal plus Omega-3’s and protein from the salmon! These kind of meals help fuel me for training and cooking all night. I can honestly tell the difference when I fuel properly for the day ahead!
I have been lucky enough to do a few in person talks on nutrition and one of the questions that comes up often is what supplements I take, and what I recommend to people. I let people know that I try to get most of my vitamins and minerals from the food I eat. I choose organic fruits and veggies as often as possible, get my Omega-3 fatty acids from fatty fish like salmon, tuna and mackerel and sardines and recommend to my clients to also start eating more fish on a regular basis. Many of my clients express an interest in eating more fish but have had bad luck making fish in the past. Well this Bumble Bee SuperFresh® Salmon with Garlicky Black Pepper and Extra Virgin Olive Oil makes fixing a tasty salmon dish easy!
Have I convinced you that you need to have a box or two of Bumble Bee SuperFresh® Salmon with Garlicky Black Pepper and Extra Virgin Olive Oil in your freezer? Well good! Go check out more about it here or just go to your local grocery store in the frozen food section, usually located around the seafood counter, and pick up a box or two!
Step by Step Instructions to Creating Dinner in under 30 minutes:
- Make cauliflower rice in the food processor while the oven is preheating. Microwave the cauliflower rice until tender. Note: add the juice of one lemon to the cauliflower rice before microwaving to avoid that cauliflower smell throughout your house!
- Remove the salmon from the vacuum packaging it comes in. Place the salmon in the parchment paper provided, close the parchment paper by folding it under 2 times. This helps lock in the flavor and steams the fish. Place the sealed parchment paper in a baking sheet and bake 25 minutes as instructed.
- While the fish is baking, make the sweet pea basil pesto! Defrost the sweet peas in the microwave, then combine with basil, lemon juice, garlic, salt, water and hemp hearts for a thick, flavorful pesto sauce!
- Combine the cooked cauliflower rice, salt and sweet pea basil pesto for a tasty twist on cauliflower rice!
- Remove the fish from the oven, Carefully open the parchment paper packages and plate the salmon. Serve with the sweet pea pesto, garnish with roasted red pepper!
- 1 head of cauliflower, riced (or a bag of riced cauliflower from Trader Joe's)
- Juice 1 lemon
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 bag organic frozen peas, defrosted
- 1 bunch of organic basil
- 1 tbs. olive oil
- 2-3 tbs. water
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tbs. hemp hearts
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp.salt
- 2 packages of Bumble Bee SuperFresh® Salmon with Garlicky Black Pepper & Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Preheat the oven to 400F
- While the oven is preheating, remove the cauliflower florets from the stalk and place in the food processor and process until the cauliflower resembles rice (takes about 20-30 seconds). You may need to work in batches.
- Place the cauliflower rice, juice of 1 lemon and ½ tsp. salt in a glass bowl and and microwave 4-5 minutes until tender.
- Once the oven is preheated, remove the salmon from the vacuum packaging, and place it in the parchment paper package provided. Close the package by folding down the open side and place the salmon seasoning side up on a baking sheet. Cook 24-25 minutes according to the package directions.
- While the salmon is cooking, defrost the peas in the microwave by cooking in a glass container 2-3 minutes.
- Place defrosted peas in the food processor (you don't even need to clean it out from making cauliflower rice). Add the basil, lemon juice, olive oil, water, hemp hearts, mince garlic and salt. Puree until smooth (you may need to scrape the sides a few times).
- Mix the pesto in with the cauliflower rice. Reserve 2-3 tbs. for topping the fish for a pretty presentation. Add in chopped roasted red pepper and serve hot with the salmon once that is done cooking and you have removed it from the parchment paper. .
What about you?
- How do you get your Omega-3s?
- Have you made sweet pea pesto before? What did you pair it with?
- Would you try this Bumble Bee SuperFresh® Salmon with Garlicky Black Pepper and Extra Virgin Olive Oil?
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.