You are going to have a new favorite go to snack after trying this recipe for Dairy Free Chocolate Pumpkin Sunbutter Cups. Perfect for fall and a yummy low carb treat! Gluten free, vegan and so simple to make!
I used to be OBSESSED with Reece’s peanut butter cups and the chocolate covered marshmallows (that used to only come out at Easter but now they are out all the time). I would purposely get 1-2 at the store on my way home from the gym and end up eating them in my car because I had no self-control (and they aren’t filling at all).
I don’t buy treats like that anymore because I hated the way I felt after I ate them. I would literally want to stop at the store every chance I got, and grab “Just one”, convincing myself that it didn’t matter. This behavior would spill over into the rest of my day/week and I found myself saying yes to all the things that weren’t in line with my goals.
GET 10 OF MY ALL TIME GREATEST RECIPES
IN THIS FREE EBOOK
What’s the purpose of this story? Well part of it explains why I made my own version of a healthier Reece’s cup, but the other side of it is that I had these little cups in my freezer for 3 weeks. I had one or two, forgot about them for a while. Ate another. Finally got around to taking the pictures for the blog. Had another one, heck I even shared with Dave (which I never would have done before).
Why you'll love these Dairy Free Chocolate Pumpkin Sunbutter Cups
There is something about making my own food that has helped me realize that I don’t have to hide in my car to eat it. I can always make more. It’s not something that is just going to disappear overnight and never be enjoyed again. So I should probably stop obsessing over it and start LIVING instead.
I hope you obsess a little over these little Dairy Free Chocolate Pumpkin Sunbutter Cups. They are quite amazing. I made the chocolate shell out of a combination of vegan protein powder, cacao powder and cacao butter (you could use coconut oil).
The filling is where the magic is though. I made a batch of my pumpkin sunflower seed butter and added a half serving of my vegan protein powder to help this be more filling! The combination of protein, fiber (from the pumpkin) and healthy fats (from the sunbutter and coconut oil) make these a filling treat, not just a sugar bomb!
I try really hard now to focus on balance and while I still enjoy sweet stuff, but I really stop and think about what impact it might make on me. My general rule is that I try to enjoy real indulgences outside of the house and not don’t bring them home with me (or in my car). I sit down and enjoy them, not just casually throw them in my mouth as I’m driving or running out the door. But I like to have something sweet every day, so I make some healthier versions of things so I can feel like I am practicing balance. Some days that just means I make a smoothie. Other days, it’s these Dairy Free Chocolate Pumpkin Sunbutter Cups or chocolate chocolate chip cookies.
Dairy Free Chocolate Pumpkin Sunbutter Cups
- Make the chocolate shell by melting the cacao butter (or you can use coconut oil). Add the protein powder and cacao powder and stir well until all lumps are removed.
- Add 12 silicone liners to your muffin tin. Add 1/2 tbs. of the chocolate mixture to each silicone liner and place in the freezer. 10 minutes. Hold on to remaining chocolate
- While the chocolate is freezing, make the pumpkin sunflower seed butter. Combine the pumpkin puree, sunflower seed butter, vanilla protein powder, maple syrup and pumpkin spice.
- Take the chocolate shells from the freezer.
- Add 2 tbs. of the pumpkin to the chocolate shell.
- Top with 1/2 tbs. chocolate mixture over the pumpkin and freeze to set.
- Once frozen, you can store this in these in the fridge for 2-3 days (or store in the freezer for up to 1 month).
SHOP MY FAVORITE FAST MEAL MUST-HAVES
Use the buttons below to buy my must-have fast meal basics and don't forget to visit my Amazon Shop!